Weathering - Tamiya kits in particular....

Simon

Question

Well, I've got it into my head that I want to weather my display models ready for when I finally get round to a display  ::);) so while I was in a model shop I picked up some of the Tamiya Weathering Master [think that's what they're called  ???] kits....

Has anyone used these successfully yet..?

I had a bit of a go on my T7060 as it was handy and got precisely nowhere.

I didn't seem to be able to get any of the powder [it's like a lady's make up compact] onto the weathering brush. What little smidge I did get on it wouldn't get off either the brush or sponge and onto the model....

I got 3 kits, each with various different colour blocks in them which I thought looked vaguely representative of agricultural wear and tear.... including one with silver for doing grab rails etc.

So, anyone got any advice or shall we all work it out together.

I thought I may dig out my little Uh 35x as a proper test mule.... just for Marky  ;) and see where we get to..

So, hints, tips and advice gladly received... preferably starting with how to get the damn stuff onto the brush!!  ::):D :D

Edited for mispelling the title of all things.... :o  :D :D

4 answers to this question

brush Simon.....use an air brush ;) ;), thats what the guy at Spalding did, he started with coats of the lighter colours then getting darker, Jez took more of it in as he is aiming to do it himself :-\ :-\

I build 1/35th scale military vehicles as well as farm models.  Not sure about Tamiya as these are fairly new on the market but I've used the MIG weathering powders.  I used them with water and tiny drop of washing up liquid to break down the surface tension to apply the powders so they deposit in the various crevices etc and then brushed off the excess when dry.

I did a bit of reading up first and discovered that you can basically mix the powder with just about anything your imagine can come up with to acheive the effect you are after, from clear varnishes to resins to glues and all points in between. The possibilities are endless, as they say!

If using the powders with a scratch build or re-painted model it is often suggested varnishing the model and then applying the powders, that way you could pretty much wash off the weathering effect if it messes up - I found it better to use the powders over dry acrylic paint, the only problem with that is that it changes the colour of the paint a lot, it all depends what kind of effect you are after. I found a matt surface offered more purchase for the powders to adhere to.

A case of experiment, experiment till you get what you're after.  Hope this helps.

brush Simon.....use an air brush ;) ;), thats what the guy at Spalding did, he started with coats of the lighter colours then getting darker, Jez took more of it in as he is aiming to do it himself :-\ :-\

Well mate, I Used a standard spray can for my muckspreader but yes, I will bo doing it more in Germany with Marky's air brush kit.

Basiccaly build up in stages, you will need to take the shine off then uild up with different colours...