Snapping Shares on plough???

MODELFARMER

Never broken a KV share and mine gets dropped on the concrete occasionally.  :-[ But I do put a rail under the share and landslide when it'll sit for a long time.  Mine's auto reset so there's give in the legs, too.

The broken share looks like it's wearing thinner near the bolthole  ???  Are they genuine KV?

Genuine KV yes

Our ground dont wear the plough very much, this one that broke ploughed about 30 acres

Had an idea tonight though, if i lengthen the stand it will rock the plough over onto the other end of the share so not just the point taking the weight, see if that helps, failing that i'll just cry

Looks to me as if in the process of making the bolt hole where it's breaking stress has been inflicted on the share and caused an undetected hairline fracture in the manufacturing process and the tip having a very small point of contact on the floor is exerting a tremendous amount of pressure to the point where the share is breaking. I can see no other logical reason, Faulty batch of shares  ??? ???

could it be anything to do with the extra cold we've had lately, the stress line looks as though that would be a weak(hinge point) and with all that weight bearing down on it in freezing conditions... I'm amazed the weight of the plough doesn't bust them all every time it's set down on concrete? I would have had a thick wide plank to set the wings/mouldbooards it on if it were mine.

We have had the same problem when we had our Rabe Raven plough new a few years ago. The dealer said the metal was so hard it was actually quite brittle when putting the plough on the concrete or something similar. This was solved by putting felt rings in between the frame and share which worked brilliantly. Never had issues with them since.

Is it on the same leg every time Ricky, or all on one side, or random legs on both sides?

I can't see how it can be storage which is damaging the shares, points maybe but not the shares... the metal of the share between the point and the frog will be under a little compression but not a vast amount and it's certainly not under tension which is what would break it... unless the frog is bending, which I seriously doubt, then standing on concrete surely won't affect the share...

For the shares to crack through there all I can think of is that they're either being bent up on the frog or the bodys are flexing back beyond the point at which the share runs out of flex. Are the turn buckles on the back of the bodys all nice and tight? If the plough is fairly new they should still be easy to adjust....again though, it still implies the frog is bending somewhere and I can't see where it would... did you stock up on these things in a short space of time or have they been bought from different dealers at different times... a problem with a batch of the metals that's probably the most likely explanation.

Well that's my 2 penneth... but I've NEVER had a share break, plenty of boards but never a share  :-[:D :D

not the cold she started it last spring when we put on new points

extra leverage = snap

now tonight i lengthed the stand by 1 hole if set off now the plough rocks over onto the othe tip of the share instead of just the tip of the point.

We have had the same problem when we had our Rabe Raven plough new a few years ago. The dealer said the metal was so hard it was actually quite brittle when putting the plough on the concrete or something similar. This was solved by putting felt rings in between the frame and share which worked brilliantly. Never had issues with them since.

this sounds interesting  might try that too

Is it on the same leg every time Ricky, or all on one side, or random legs on both sides?

I can't see how it can be storage which is damaging the shares, points maybe but not the shares... the metal of the share between the point and the frog will be under a little compression but not a vast amount and it's certainly not under tension which is what would break it... unless the frog is bending, which I seriously doubt, then standing on concrete surely won't affect the share...

For the shares to crack through there all I can think of is that they're either being bent up on the frog or the bodys are flexing back beyond the point at which the share runs out of flex. Are the turn buckles on the back of the bodys all nice and tight? If the plough is fairly new they should still be easy to adjust....again though, it still implies the frog is bending somewhere and I can't see where it would... did you stock up on these things in a short space of time or have they been bought from different dealers at different times... a problem with a batch of the metals that's probably the most likely explanation.

Well that's my 2 penneth... but I've NEVER had a share break, plenty of boards but never a share  :-[:D :D

Well its usually the same dealer yes but the 1st one that broke was an original if ye get me so hmmmm

as pictured the bolt where the share shears is the last point of fixed contact the share has with the frame.

if the worst comes to the worst i'll snap them all and not replace them and hope the boards run clean ha ha