Demonstration Combines

Gav836

Yer we find that with the 405 when you go in some of the crators we've got as were i live used to be an old airfield for the USA so we got them as well the 405 does struggle like your 460 but i like it as it makes the MF 8240 when under full load sound amazing i never have the radio on at these points who needs it also made a mates 930 sound nice  :D :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know what you're saying there, they make the Renault 836 sound nice too. Problem this year was just as i got in the bottom of one with the 460 plus nearly full tank the winter barley hit 3.5 ton acre and she really struggled to get out again, the extra 30hp the evo's got would make all the difference

I know what you mean to well we did a few times this year in 5+ton acre wheat with the 405 and it just struggled like hell so we emptyed the tank when we started to go up made the 3065 struggle with a 14 ton trailer going up when we get in these crators we have to always have a tractor and trailer on side to empty the tank if neede as soon as poss if she starts to struggle

Fantastic pictures and great information there Gavin. Nice to see some nice head to head comaprisons by usewrs rather than propaganda. Sounds like you guys like to try them all before any money is parted with. Not too many farmers around like that.

they just don't seem to consider hilly terrain when they design a new combine. Are all German fields flat, cos it certainly seems like it at times!! we have one hill that i can only cut downhill or at 45 degrees and then its a struggle, couldn't get the 16 ton trailer up it on the 836 and it was only half full!!

Theres a story behind the NH and the 580. Claas didn't have a fan belt on the shelf when a knackered pulley chewed ours up so the boss threw his rattle out of his pram and rang the head of parts at Claas uk followed by our sales rep and told them he's getting a NH out on demo as he'd had enough of poor parts back up. Not 2 days later the rep flagged him down on the road and said you can have a 580 for a day so we couldn't refuse. In the mean time we'd booked the NH already so we had one on the friday and one on the saturday. We would probably always have a Claas but it pays to look around as its the most expensive and important investment to make machinary wise

Admittedly but farmers are among the worst for changing colours. Only the last few years has it been different and that is mainly due to all the mergers that we have seen, now offering farmers and other ag kit users back up etc they have always trusted but with more brands.

they just don't seem to consider hilly terrain when they design a new combine. Are all German fields flat, cos it certainly seems like it at times!! we have one hill that i can only cut downhill or at 45 degrees and then its a struggle, couldn't get the 16 ton trailer up it on the 836 and it was only half full!!

Theres a story behind the NH and the 580. Claas didn't have a fan belt on the shelf when a knackered pulley chewed ours up so the boss threw his rattle out of his pram and rang the head of parts at Claas uk followed by our sales rep and told them he's getting a NH out on demo as he'd had enough of poor parts back up. Not 2 days later the rep flagged him down on the road and said you can have a 580 for a day so we couldn't refuse. In the mean time we'd booked the NH already so we had one on the friday and one on the saturday. We would probably always have a Claas but it pays to look around as its the most expensive and important investment to make machinary wise

We can just about manage to get the tractors and combines straght up so not as bad as yours luckily ?:D :D but our claas dealer will do anything to keep us with them even though a few times in the summer we had to do a 250 mile round trip to pick parts up ?>:(

I echo Deere-est's comments Gavin.. it's nice to read about a True test from the real people ! - I often wonder about some of those hills when I see them - Years ago Massey made a hillside combine with hydraulics that kept the thing level. ?When your going up a steep hill do you loose more grain over the back because of the angle ??? or does it change the sample in anyway ????

Our 460 has the Claas 3D sieves on it which helps to cut the losses as the sieves level out seperate to the combine, keeps them fairly level but the losses do increase slightly, i get 2 big black flashing triangles on the screen instead of 2 slightly black but mostly white ones!

When I last used a combine you only had a dial guage (RDS grain loss monitor I think they were called) spent many an hour trickling grain on them for the bloke I was apprentice too - I never did believe them to be very accurate really.  I suppose they have come on in leaps and bounds since the late 80's

Our lexion is computer cotrolled, you tell it what you are cutting and it sets the combine up for you. it can be fine tuned on the move from the cab. it tells you acres worked/average yield/total yield/moisture/corrected tonnage after moisture correction for whatever it is to be stored at. Great bit of kit until you get a fault or mickey or roland find the wires and chew at them!!

Our 460 has the Claas 3D sieves on it which helps to cut the losses as the sieves level out seperate to the combine, keeps them fairly level but the losses do increase slightly, i get 2 big black flashing triangles on the screen instead of 2 slightly black but mostly white ones!

Thers not a claas combine in this area without them they all have it as we have the odd crator or hill. The most amazing thing i found last summer was jumping from the 405 which did 1.7mph in wheat and then jumped onto a 480 and i was stunned at the output they were doind 4mph+ i reckon cant remember exactly

Our lexion is computer cotrolled, you tell it what you are cutting and it sets the combine up for you. it can be fine tuned on the move from the cab. it tells you acres worked/average yield/total yield/moisture/corrected tonnage after moisture correction for whatever it is to be stored at. Great bit of kit until you get a fault or mickey or roland find the wires and chew at them!!

Same for the 405 and rest of the 400's i do like the 500's as all the yield moniters etc are alot better etc

Bugger they have moved on - I used to be on an off the things for hours winding up the wind,,, adjusting the sieves and checking the sample.

You still have to put the dis awners in manually and adjust the wind ducts manually, but other than that most of it can be done from the cab. The 500 series along with most new combines all have climate control on them too

I dont really need climate control as the air con is on till november well was in 2004. I'm really gonna try and get a few days on a local contractors 580 as i really would like to have a while on this test and see the differences between this and 405  :D

A mate of mine has one a 7278 and said it ran amazingly well for the first 3 season and not many straw walker combines came close but this year had problems with the sieves, elevator, straw walkers and the unloading auger but before all this it was amazing machine according to the bloke he will buy one again but with a 5 season warranty

we wouldn't entertain a massey, too many problem ones locally. one farmer had a new one on demo with a chap from the factory, so his neighbour took a vintage 780 special there for a photo. the new one broke down but the 780 which hadn't been used for years kept plodding along much to the bemusement of the demonstrater chappy!!

I've been promised a ride on one next season (a Massey Crea that is) - can't wait - I'll not sleep the night before I know that

I always tell anyone who wants a ride that they can come for one if they want to, helps to pass the time if you someone to talk to

I always tell anyone who wants a ride that they can come for one if they want to, helps to pass the time if you someone to talk to

I agree with that who ever wants i ride i let them also nice when friends from non farming industry come and join you for a few hours  :D :D

I have friends which are so scared of tractors etc they wont go near one they say theyre too big and noone should be in charge of something that large then when i suggest i'll be driving they give an out right no :D :D :D

That was the response i had off my previous girlfriend too. All i'd done while i was seeing her was to collide with another combine resulting in loss of straw chopper (well he did park in my blindspot behind me where i couldn't see the fool!), she wasn't too keen after that for some reason. Those rear view cameras are greta bits of kit, i bought one and fitted it as the boss wouldn't, i can now see what the cars are up to behind me and what the header is doing when i'm towing it which is brilliant and has made tight squeezes betweeen parked cars much easier