britains mf2680

Paul Palmer

Question

19 answers to this question

That's the same as most Britains of that era Paul...

The axle pin is ribbed on one end and grips into a sleeve inside one wheel, like UH rear axles, the other end is just a knob on the end of the axle and hole straight through the wheel.

If you can't get it off by good old fashioned brute force and ignorance, then use a flat had screw driver and pry between the end of the axle trumpet housing casting and the inside of the rim where the axle doesn't come through the wheel... If you rotate it a quarter turn or so each way a few times you should be able to ease it off.... alternatively don't be afraid of 'bending' the wheel to 'walk' it off the axle.... on the 5000's I really forced them, so it looks like your putting positive camber on the wheels, and each rib will slowly move to the next notch inside the sleeve until it comes free.... just keep pulling boss! :D :D

Front axle has a straight through wheel with a push fit hub doesn't it? This time the ribbed part is on a stub sticking out the end of the axle though from memory :-\

Again, pull like hell or try to lever it out... you may have some luck with a flat screwdriver under the flange of the push in hub but there's a good chance you might damage both... try prying from behind again ;)

But Muarry did'nt you know Simon's Wife takes all the wheels of his tractors for conversion, what else could you be imagining! ;D ;D :D

i had something else in mind thats all  :D :D, Garret my name is spelt Murray, not being a pain  :D :D

well i thought i'd try it on a TW first & you know what it worked ! although not quite the result i need for a massey ,

another trick is like the tyres , warm the wheels up in a bowl of warm water , the plastic becomes a bit more supple  to pull the ribbed bar from

well i thought i'd try it on a TW first & you know what it worked ! although not quite the result i need for a massey ,

another trick is like the tyres , warm the wheels up in a bowl of warm water , the plastic becomes a bit more supple  to pull the ribbed bar from

That's a great trick that is... when I refit tyres to painted rims I fill a mug up with boiling water and drop the tyres in for a minute or too, they go back on without damaging the paint at all.... :)

Not sure a Massey will stand up to it as well as a TW mate, you might need to be a bit more gentle on a red one, not built sturdy like a Ford ;):D