21st. Century Runabout

Tellarian

A question ....

Many farms have for years kept a yard runabout / scraper tractor.

MF 35x's, 135's Ford Dexta's, Ford 4/5000's etc were very common, almost obligatory.  Many were bought new to the farm, and have soldiered on ever since.

However many are now being restored as 'Grandad's tractor' or to have a working classic.

Others are being sold on or cashed in as a restorable classic.

So, what will be the yard runabout for the future, or, has the jack of all trades the telehandler taken on the mantle??

The telehandler does get all the running around as I'm too lazy nowadays to lift anything:)

I think that the 'smaller' tractor will always be kept as a standby. When I bought the MF3065 it was a useful sized tractor for most jobs - 20 years later it's too small for most of the gear I have now, but still runs around with rollers trailers and post knockers. Bigger farms may keep a 100hp 4wd as their runaround....... :)

The telehandler does get all the running around as I'm too lazy nowadays to lift anything:)

I think that the 'smaller' tractor will always be kept as a standby. When I bought the MF3065 it was a useful sized tractor for most jobs - 20 years later it's too small for most of the gear I have now, but still runs around with rollers trailers and post knockers. Bigger farms may keep a 100hp 4wd as their runaround....... :)

Exactly what we've done jdc on our farm got a 856xl 2wd as our back up mainly for flat roll as even cambridge rolls too big now

Umm.. fine question Steve... I'm thinking the telehandler may be the runaround of the mixed/livestock farm... but around 'ear I reckon it's the quad for those with a modicum of money... and a pickup truck of some description (usually a defender 90) for those a little more affluent

what's rong with a good old wheel barrow and grape? :D

we still use the wee nash on the scraper for tight cow lanes etc but the merlo handler would do a fair bit of the jobs we would have used a wheel barrow for :-\ for moving calves the quad trailer is great, well when the calves decide to co-operate ::);) but then again theres the odd day we can't even be bothered with machinery and used throw the odd calve over our back and run :D and just bring haylage round in the barrow