NORTH EAST OF SCOTLAND COMMECIAL VEHICLE ROAD RUN 31 MAY 2009

BC

Well yesterday morning I went to watch the 2009 North East of Scotland Commercial Vehicle Road Run which started at 9.30 from the Millers shop at Midmar in Aberdeenshire which turned out to be a scorcher of a Summer's day. the vehicles headed towards Strathdon on Donside and then up the steep Lecht road which made the old girls grunt and smoke a little. There was a rest break at the top at the Lecht Ski Centre for everyone to catchup before travelling to Grantown on Spey via Tomintoul for the lunch stop. The first set of shots I took were as they descended from the ski centre. It was extremely sunny so apologies for the quality of some of the sots and also taking in part of my car bonnet in some of them.

First up a Scania which was badged as a Centurion but it wasn't really according to the driver. Is still in daily use around and about Aberdeen.

310509001-4.jpg

310509003-4.jpg

310509004-4.jpg

310509005-4.jpg

310509006-4.jpg

310509007-4.jpg

The first breakdown of the day in Tomintoul one of my friends lorries was overheating so it was decided to piggy back it. he will be a sick as a parrot not being able to charge for a recovery ;) ;)

310509001.jpg

310509003.jpg

310509002-1.jpg

After the lunch stop leaving Grantown for Archieston then Craigelliche and the Cabrach then Alford

310509004.jpg

310509005.jpg

310509006.jpg

Oh dear what has happened now... the Merc is being moved to the top to make more room on the back. My friend hade five vehicles on the run and now a second one had to be recovered. This time it was the Leyland Comet and the cause was a broken gear stick. Bob the driver was blamed for breaking it due not double clutching ;D ;D

310509001-8.jpg

310509002-6.jpg

310509003-8.jpg

310509004-8.jpg

310509005-8.jpg

By this time it was nearly 4.30pm and we still had to get back to Thomson's of Sauchen yard for our ta so it was full steam ahead. We arrived safely at Sauchen without any further hitches and had a hefty plate of stovies followed by some fine home made dumpling. All in all a very enjoyable day out and the excellent weather was the icing on the cake.

One last shot or two before I end this topic. looking at the first photo you would think that was a bog standard container aboard the Scania trailer but alas not .... its the chap's living accommodation complete with Plasma TV screen and double bed at the front ;D ;D

310509006-8.jpg

310509007-8.jpg

Yes it was a very enjoyable day out and even my friend was in good spirits despite 2 out of 5 breaking down ;D ;D

On your comment about the Scotlee container and living accomodation Iain I had a laugh to myself since at the end of the run the driver of the brokn down Merc related the story of getting invloved in a drinking session at Scone Palace last year and he said the steps were seemed extremly steep when trying to make his way home.

That Scania is a left hand drive one although people may not be able to tell from my rather out of focus photo :(

Great pictures Bill, thanks for taking the time to take them and post on here mate. Nice to see the older wagons rolling on :)

Glad you enjoyed Mark. It was rather sunny for the first set taken at the Lecht Centre ski slope but then again we are never happy with the weather ;) ;)

i never seen you there bill my lorry was ERF A series with the W&M Robertson on it

I thought that may have been your uncle Graham driving that one and I think I overtook you on the steep part of the Lecht since you were all at snails pace ;) ;)

When I stopped at Grantown on Spey I did not have time to wander around much since I got way laid chatting to folk. Was that Alex Steel I saw driving the lorry when you left Grantown on Spey ??? ??? I was at the leisure centre taking photos just after the video man at the top of the road you turned into.

Did you stop off at Thompson's of Sauchen for yuour tea on the wayt home ??? ???... I was rather late in arriving by the time we picked up the second breakdown.