Northwest Kansas Halfway through harvest (dialup beware!!!)

stewart7225

I believe I have it right that you can put as many pics in one post as you want as long as they are linked from another site correct?  And you are limited to 6 per post when uploaded here?

So many pictures but so little time to explain, first pictures are from about a month ago when we hauled out corn and milo to make room for the seedwheat.  Next pictures are of some custom cutters in the area, and the last pictures are of the first 1/3 of our harvest.

Bins at the home place, have a few more bins that we use scattered around a few miles away

haulingcorn1-1.jpg

Bin full of corn (no it wasnt being emptyed while I was inside) I had the job of sweeping the dust and corn off the walls since seedwheat will be stored in it

haulingcorn4.jpg

haulingcorn2.jpg

haulingcorn1.jpg

haulingcorn.jpg

One tillage picture I actually managed to get the first go around this year, got 2 more fields of ours that need done so I might get some pictures yet (cross fingers)

No clue who even owns this tractor, looks to be in fairly good shape compared to the few others I have seen around here

wheatharvest32.jpg

Found three custom crews that were worth takings pictures of so far this season.  First the New Holland crew, then the Case IH, and last the John Deere crew

Allen Rollan harvesting:

wheatharvest11.jpg

wheatharvest12.jpg

wheatharvest18.jpg

Their grain cart setup: Ford TW-35 with Brent Grain Train 600.  Last year they had a belarus 4wd on it, definately the ford was a major upgrade

wheatharvest20.jpg

Schiltz Harvesting 3/5 of the crew, met them on the road while going to look at the versatile.  Pulled the 4-wheeler into the ditch to let them pass.

wheatharvest26.jpg

wheatharvest27.jpg

wheatharvest28.jpg

wheatharvest33.jpg

Ochs harvesting, not sure how many more combines they have, at least 1 maybe more????

One combine is over the hill cutting a spot for the rest to jump in and hook up the heads (road is about 2-4 feet lower than the field at all but one point along that field)

wheatharvest75.jpg

wheatharvest80.jpg

wheatharvest78.jpg

Some custom cutter's trucks goin down the highway into town

wheatharvest64.jpg

wheatharvest65.jpg

Farmer cutting across the road from where we were today: 9650STS , 9500 walker, 83** series tractor with kinze 1050 cart, 2 grain trucks, one with pup

wheatharvest104.jpg

wheatharvest99.jpg

wheatharvest93.jpg

same guys different field

wheatharvest29.jpg

wheatharvest23.jpg

Random guy cutting up the road from us one day, Running a 98*0 JD with shelbourne stripper head

wheatharvest90.jpg

Finally onto our mishmosh crew:

CIH 2188, very late 97 model

1010 header with new finger reel

DT200 tractor

Demco 800 grain cart

Kenworth T-800 with 42' grain trailer

IH loadstar with grainbed

IH single axle with grain bed

Kind of going to work backwards as thats how PB uploaded the pictures

A few hours ago after an hour long drive down the highway, in the rain, on a very narrow highway, to get home.

wheatharvest102.jpg

wheatharvest103.jpg

Racing the rain clouds

wheatharvest100.jpg

My ride for most of harvest

wheatharvest40.jpg

A little side hill action ( more angle than appears in the picture, doesnt help im on the same hill taking pictures)

wheatharvest38.jpg

wheatharvest36.jpg

Staging area/overnight parking

wheatharvest49.jpg

Inside of the cart

wheatharvest47.jpg

Down in one of the draws fixing the coolant level sensor after a chunk of metal went through the engine a few days previous.

wheatharvest48.jpg

The Adventure:

Path that has to be taken to get from one hilltop, to the next one, to where the trucks are being loaded.

we will start from where the trucks are parked and venture to the hilltop:

Park here:

wheatharvest53.jpg

Travel 1/3 of a mile and jump about 7 terraces to get to here

wheatharvest51.jpg

Down this "path" and take a right to get to the hill with wheat, or a left to get to the hill where the staging area is

wheatharvest44.jpg

Across this "field" (should be a pasture or waterway or something besides a field (not our land) )and up the hill

All to get to where he is

wheatharvest42.jpg

Then after the carts full, back down this hill at 1 MPH with FWA on, brakes locked, and fingers crossed, then back up the next hill and up into the field, then to unload on the truck.

wheatharvest58.jpg

Pictures shows the 3 way intersection.  This is from ontop the second hill.  Straight takes you through the summerfallow to the staging area, while a left takes you to unload

wheatharvest62.jpg

So ends the journey, made that trip 3 or 4 times which was plenty.

Random picture from before we left home

wheatharvest6.jpg

BEWARE DEMCO OWNERS!!!!

What happens when the company doesnt think their design out in terms of water + cold wheater = expansion

wheatharvest60.jpg

wheatharvest61.jpg

Finally, here comes the truck

wheatharvest68.jpg

Pulling up to where we dump

wheatharvest66.jpg

Better picture of where we dump at

wheatharvest65.jpg

Different field, different day

Definately in my top 3 pictures so far this year

wheatharvest86.jpg

OH NO!!! clouds

wheatharvest94.jpg

wheatharvest96.jpg

wheatharvest91.jpg

Thats all for now, hopefully some more pictures one we get back onto our ground north of town where its easier going.  Sounds like im going to be initiated to wheat harvest in the combine, possibly grain truck also.

Let me know what you think,

Austin

Stunning pics Austin, some crackers there

Re the pic limit, its 2 pics upladed on the forum, 6 via a hosting site like you have ;)

How many ton have you harvested so far? is it a good yield this year?

Like Nick said, via the Forum uploader you can only upload two regardless. Via a hosting site is six however.

Can't view the pics as I am using my cell phone today. I'm looking forward to getting home for a good look though. :) :)

I will try to remember the 6 picture per post thing, just might take longer to post since I just copy and paste my posts from other sites.

I will try to answer some of these questions as best as I can.  I am not sure how many tons we have hauled off, this is not our land but the partner whom we share harvest equipment with.  Yields have ranged from 65-95 bushels per US acre (1.768-2.585 tons per US acre).  I seem to think that US acres are different than your acres?  ???:-\  If so someone let me know the conversion between the two and I can calculate that.

Wide open spaces are nice but this hilly land makes for better pictures, just give me a week and I will have some pictures of some real wide open space  ;)

AHH ok i know where you are been through there tons of times

even hauled grain to hoxie feeders lots of times too

Im in Alma Nebraska so not too far from you at all mate

right upyour street this nick  was that your father inlaws 8330 on the keinzy bin

Dont think so mate think thats a  kinze 1050 his is a 850

very good pictures i better get after my missus  to get more pics as soon as i fire up again

might give it a go this afternoon see how wet  the grain is  anyway

Dont think so mate think thats a  kinze 1050 his is a 850

very good pictures i better get after my missus  to get more pictures as soon as i fire up again

might give it a go this afternoon see how wet  the grain is  anyway

oh yes get to it  :D  seeing thses pics makes me want to get on a plane and come over

Seen'em and wish I was back over there doing it all over again! Loved it when I was there, combines everywhere you look and for as far as the eye can see. Trucks on all the highways. .. .  :'( Miss it.

Anyhooooooow. Lovely photo's of a great array of machinery both old and new. I look forward to see more of this topic. If you know of anyone who may be able to get photo's of the Dolecheks. .. .  ;)