Search engine results

CMB

Does anyone know the best search engine or search method to match 1:32 pictures or website searches? I put "BRITAINS 22.5 C.W.T DUMPER" into google image search and got ziltch. ???:-\

hey where's the question smiley gone? :blank:

Google generally searches on image name, which may not reflect the image content, depending on the owner. Also it searches on the Alternate Text which is shown on mouseover - not all web designers bother to use this. Also text in close proximity e.g. in adjacent table cells or paragraphs may be included. I think you may have to be more general in searches and sift through the results. If you are putting the phrase in inverted commas, only an exact match to that phrase will be searched.  :)

Google generally searches on image name, which may not reflect the image content, depending on the owner. Also it searches on the Alternate Text which is shown on mouseover - not all web designers bother to use this. Also text in close proximity e.g. in adjacent table cells or paragraphs may be included. I think you may have to be more general in searches and sift through the results. If you are putting the phrase in inverted commas, only an exact match to that phrase will be searched.  :)

Yes this is particularly annoying. And very often with an image search the thumbnail won't match the description and you're left trawling the site for that image.

.... Also it searches on the Alternate Text which is shown on mouseover - not all web designers bother to use this. Also text in close proximity...

Most people upload pictures with filename generated by their cameras e.g. DCIM00001 etc.  Some use a descriptive name so search engines can only search as described (plus the nearby text).  I always use the alternative text for mouseovers but unless every webmaster gives their images a searchable name you are stuffed.  I certainly would not bother to put a scale in a picture name as it is irrelevant because that information would be somewhere else on my site and all I need to do is give my image a unique name.

Have you tried doing a standard search and then clicking on the More Options at the top left of the page and selecting "Images from the page" ?  Sometimes that can yield better results as it is searching the text of the pages but I think you have to modify your search  (I had could not find pictures of what you are looking for)

Don't really know how relevant this comment is to this topic but you do find on these image searches pictures that you yourself have uploaded to sites and if they are particularly good images or pictures of sentiment to you, not sure how, but you should try to find a way to copyright them or encode some text on them if you wish to protect them as very often they can be just 'lifted' by others and pasted into their own picture files and used elsewhere. Just a thought in passing.