Ertl 590 Discussion splits from BC Britains topic

ploughmaster

Now then.... On the subjct of the 590... Ertl also made a model of the 590 in 1:16th scale... (some of which can be found with 595 on them)... I wonder what possessed them to do such a model when the states never had the real thing on offer (well... to the best of my knowledge anyway) - you see... we had the 500 series... the states (having more relaxed rules on noise and safety in most if not all states) had the 300 series models.

Can anyone shed any light on that for us  :-\

Interesting question, and one to which I have no idea of the actual answer. :laugh:  You could easily ask a similar question as to why Britains made the Volvo BM2654 which wasn't sold in the UK (as far as I know).

Didn't North America keep the 100 series until the end of the 70's when they were superseded by the 200 series?

I can only think that MF wanted/asked Ertl to make the larger scale models for them to offer through dealerships in countries where the 500 series were sold (they were sold elsewhere other than Europe).  For a large scale model/toy, Ertl would have been the main choice, and they already had a licence to produce 16th scale MF toys.