farm gates

Pete

Question

15 answers to this question

I don't know what solder he used, Pete but I have a pair of 10ft and a pair of 15ft gates and there arn't any better that I have seen, he did say he had problems with joints melting as he moved around the gate though. Not that it shows mind.

Hi Pete . they are tricky to do, because the joints are so close together.

The best thing i found was to make a jig with some small pin nails on a board. Making sure that the solder can get all the way round, by laying the copper on nails laying flat .

Start soldering at one corner  working your way around , as fast as you can. Use a damp old cloth to cool the joints and stop heat build up. :)

I used just plain old plumers solder, and not very much flux at all.

Small hobby soldering lamp, filled with llighter fluid.

If you are soldering alot of different joints which are close, you should use different grades of solder with different melting temperatures. This allows you to solder different joints without effecting the others, just make your solderin iron cooler and hotter depending. Same way as jewlery is made. Hope this helps. Steve

If you are soldering alot of different joints which are close, you should use different grades of solder with different melting temperatures. This allows you to solder different joints without effecting the others, just make your solderin iron cooler and hotter depending. Same way as jewlery is made. Hope this helps. Steve

thanks steve