FORD 555

B O R

i wonder if someone could help here,i bought this on ebay, the back actor is missing which suits me fine cause i was thinking of making it into a loader only type,now what i need to know is did Ford do the same as MF as in offer some of there diggers in loader only form,im pretty sure they would have as MF did with the 40 and 50 ETC and if so then what does the weight block look like on the rear as i intend making one...lots of my neighbours in the 60s and 70s and even 80s would have used things like the 40 and 50 loaders to tip potato boxes etc thus saving a tractor from the wear and tear of a loader..and finally if they offered it as a loader was the number designation changed at all,thanks for any help as i think this model has a load of potential for loading manure spreaders etc

post-1779-132639218564_thumb.jpg

good,if i could just get a glimpse of the back weight ill go to town,the rams are old and im going to have to make new brass ones with soldered eyes etc and tighten up all the worn pivot points but im thinking it would be nice and worth the effort,ive a MF50 in same scale and era so another display possibility there

Am I right in thinking there are 2 versions of this , with difference in rear of cab  , this one appears more American with the sloping side windows at bottom of cab , the other I think is of more European styling , but I may well be wrong  :-\ .

In the real life machines there are 2 versions the North American one is the centre mounted back hoe it only moves in an ark from the centre line of the rear of the digger it has different jacks too so that is why the cab is different. Like the ertl one shown. The european version is set up the same as the JCB 3cx with the side shift sliding back hoe and the legs on the end of the frame rails in the vertical position. As far as i know ertl never did this version in a model . only the case 580 was available in North American and Euro spec.

I have thought about doing this side shift as a conversion it will not be easy and am not sure it will look good when done so I may just buy an NZG 550 instead We will have to see.

Try searching ebay for sales info to get pictures or try www.farmphoto.com  and see if there are any pictures on there of the loading shovel model.

Good  luck with the conversion and I would like to see it when it is done :)

Am I right in thinking there are 2 versions of this , with difference in rear of cab  , this one appears more American with the sloping side windows at bottom of cab , the other I think is of more European styling , but I may well be wrong  :-\ .

funny you should say that Iain as I have two different back-acter castings from the same vendor off ebay (at the same time)for these and I've not compared the several mint(different-boxed) models I have somewhere in the vaults of "FORD Towers"  ( ;) )

Brian-only have scans from the later blacked-cab version though it is the same even as the later 655 externally as far as I can see?

I could do with the stabilisers/rams if they're going to be surplus?.... :)

post-109-132639218935_thumb.jpg

excellent and thanks a million,that gives me enough to go on,i would honestly have thought Ford would have had a projecting rear weight but this seems a much more compact affair being tucked away,i know the model will be time consuming along the way but its worth restoring,thanks again                                 

Do you mean you need the jack legs if so then ill send you them no probs as ill not be using them