Bargain or not ?

1972farming

Yeah, bit of a bargain alright, shouldn't be too hard to renovate either. Getting a good paint finish would be the trickiest part.

I wish I could buy one or two of them at that price as they seem to fetch silly money even in that condition on E bay.

I recently restored one which my brother mutilated as a child, and managed to replace the linkage without splitting the two halves of the tractor as I was scared I'd damage the castings. I removed the wings by filing off the rivetted heads of the wing mountings, leaving the spigots to accurately locate the wings when refitted, using an epoxy adhesive to re-attach them, thus avoiding the hideous allen bolts often seen  on so called restored tractors. I removed the wings to paint the skid unit effectively to try and get the factory finish on the paintwork.

Believe it or not I painted mine initially with an aerosol of red oxide primer on a warmed up casting to prevent runs, and to prevent paint collecting in the corners of the castings and masking detail. I then used genuine New Holland enamel paint (brought in a two litre tin), brought a selection of cheap artists brushes from a pound shop and picked one with long flat bristles to paint it with. I painted it with the enamel paint leaving items like the bonnet till last and found that as this paint is fairly slow to dry, a really good finish can be acheived by either painting it somewhere cold (ie an outbuilding) or leaving it in the fridge overnight and painting it while it is still cold; the paint brush marks amost completely disappear as the paint has time to "Flood out" before it dries. To finish it off I suspended the parts with wire on a radiator to bake the paint on The results were very pleasing for me.

To finish the tractor off, I fitted some Scaledown 14 x 30 rears and orange 6600 front wheels for the pressed steel wheel look and a repro cab modified so it didn't look like a top hat. The orange I used for the wheels was Howard orange with a dash of black to darken it up and look more like the original Fordson orange. :):-*  If any one has some of them even in that condition for Two quid then let me know

a mate got a white wheel version for ?15 at local carboot sale, very good condition, i was gutted.

I bought one of these, with the early style rear wheels and about 95% mint, at a toy fair last year. I asked the seller the price and he replied 5, I asked ?500? and he said no ?5. It came inclusive with the implement lift. He also had some implements, these being tipping trailer;3f plough;hay tedder and discs. I bought the whole lot for ?20 including tractor ;D

Asking what it was worth I told him and he replied that he had only paid 50p, for each item I presume. You win some times and it don't half feel good 8)

I bought one of these, with the early style rear wheels and about 95% mint, at a toy fair last year. I asked the seller the price and he replied 5, I asked ?500? and he said no ?5. It came inclusive with the implement lift. He also had some implements, these being tipping trailer;3f plough;hay tedder and discs. I bought the whole lot for ?20 including tractor ;D

Asking what it was worth I told him and he replied that he had only paid 50p, for each item I presume. You win some times and it don't half feel good 8)

My Dad found me one at a Furniture auction where he sells every other saturday about 5 years ago and was justing lying in a box of rubbush from a house clearance and had it first bid, ?3!  :o Mint in box, however has lost the lift bar.  :)

Found this 5000 'Force' at the last Exeter toy fair in January, it was a scrapper that was in a box of junk under one of the tables, got it for ?2.50. needed a good clean, exhaust, air cleaner, drawbar pin and driver, decals, all the usual bits, fortunately the mudguards and the back wheels were ok as the wheels usually melt. I did re-paint it as there was'nt a lot of the original paint on it, I used some paint in a tin that said 'Ford blue' on the lable, had to thin it a bit and using a soft artists brush done it by hand, not difficult when you've done several.

500001.jpg

500002.jpg

My Dad found me one at a Furniture auction where he sells every other saturday about 5 years ago and was justing lying in a box of rubbush from a house clearance and had it first bid, ?3!  :o Mint in box, however has lost the lift bar.  :)

A nice bargain there :)

Which version, spade lugs or rubber tyres? Do you mean implement lift?