Looking for.....poultry etc....

THEBRITFARMER

Wondering if anyone can help me I am looking for a breeder of show fowl.

Looking for pigeons, chickens and ducks (aylesbury). I am looking for a friend who wants to import then over here to Canada for breeding and showing.

Thanks

Scott

David Scrivener on here could probably help - he's a bit of a poultry expert.  :)

David Scrivener on here could probably help - he's a bit of a poultry expert.  :)

You called?  ;D

Start by meeting all the folks at this, probably the best poultry forum on the net, http://www.bluelaced.co.uk

Lots of breeders there, between them with most varieties available in the UK, and we know folks with other breeds.

However, you may have a problem finding someone prepared to do the necessary health/quarantine procedures for exporting to Canada, but we do have a member (also named Scott) in the north of the US (near Buffalo, upper New York state) who might be able to help you locate breeds rather closer to home.

See you at bluelaced (I'm DaveScriv there)

Thanks David,

Heading over there now. I figured that shipping maybe a hassel. It is a friend on my mothers who is looking. He wants to try and get breeds from the country of origin. I don't really know why I think he thinks they are better? As long as the breed standard is adhered to it shouldn't matter should it?

Cheers

Scott

my uncle used to breed and show chickens, i know he sold birds to Holland, as said quarintine rules for N.America and Canada would put a damper on it for most people.

I wouldnt have thought a breed would be any better coming from its native land?? But then look what happened to Freisian cattle!!!!

Just a random thought but would it not be easier and less hassle to have fertile eggs sent over and then hatch and rear yourself? I'm thinking that the regulations may be a little less stringent and there would be less issues than importing live birds concerning welfare and disease and the like. Would be a little more difficult with pigeons, although you can hatch and hand rear them it would take more than chickens do.

Just a random thought but would it not be easier and less hassle to have fertile eggs sent over and then hatch and rear yourself? I'm thinking that the regulations may be a little less stringent and there would be less issues than importing live birds concerning welfare and disease and the like. Would be a little more difficult with pigeons, although you can hatch and hand rear them it would take more than chickens do.

Not too random PW... my other half used to breed Red Dorkings (they have 5 toes and are a rare breed) and we'd packaged up eggs for the US and that worked (I don't think it was too complicated customs-wise :-\ )

My train of thought on sending hatching eggs was that I have a freind who's wife breeds and hatches rare breed chicken and bantams and sends eggs all over the place, wheather she sends them overseas or no I'm not sure but I could soon find out and if she does I could ask how she goes about it and what's involved.