Barley harvest.

Guest Fendt pwr

Beautiful day for it too!! Nice old thresher that is, god nic by the look of it too. Your getting some nice photo's on here recently Oli. Cheers, always good for a peek at. Oh, farmmodels.co.ok got these in 1/32 for 20quid!! My next purchase.

Guest Fendt pwr

Thanks guys,your comments make it worth posting the pictures.

"dryland barley"= The crop was grown with no irrigation.Often it's planted as soon as the farmer can get on his land in spring so it gets a chance to get started while there's good h2o in the ground.

That farmer has 3 "Briggs" irragators but because of the poor price being paid for feed barley and the fact that irrigation water is now limited he like 90% of the farmers around here are only watering high value crops like potatoes,maize and beans. :)

Guest Fendt pwr

For what it's worth.....When you have limited water there's no point in the plant using up valuable nutrents and water for growing straw when it's only the grain from the plant you want,the field will more than likely be burnt off soon. :)

It's a comman believe here that you get a higher yield of grain if you spray a good wack of straw shortener on it. :)

Guest Fendt pwr

i see nota problemhere, we need both and still get gd yeilds in a good year ha ha! just need the sunshine!!!

Whats a good yield? to the left of that picture about 500m my mate used to farm arable crops dryland.He was one of the frist ever farmers in NZ too get 4.2 ton per acre with out irrigation on winter wheat,the new owner of the land told me last year that for the last 4 years he has averaged 5.5 ton per acre with irrigation and high rates of N fert.

I grew some wheat for an old neighbour last year, the first time he'd had wheat for 28 years. He got 4.3 t/ac. I asked him if he was happy and he said  'Aye not bad, the last time I grew wheat I got 23 cwts'  ;D ;D