JRO Griffiths & Sons

jordantaylor

No not anyone could. Not any farmer would like to as well. But there are a lot of ways to widen your broaden your view.

Maintaining small farms is a (EU) utopia that sounds good and won't ever work. Plus a 'small' UK farm is still 10x larger than one in Eastern Europe, Spain or Italy. Quite simply there's two things a farmer can do. Either keeping it small and in his own powers or he increases the scale and tries to produce with the lowest possible fixed costs. We are only ever going to see a decline in the number of farms in the whole of Europe and there is not much we can do about it. Don't get me wrong I think it is sad as well that small family run businesses disappear but it does give others, like me, the opportunity to expand their business to keep your head up.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

been busy at work lately checking all of the spud kit before the spring when we are planting

we have just just aquired 6 new grimme 2 row drills so they will be put to the test as we are having 1400 acres of spuds this year.

im going to be on one of the bedtillers and so im going out with the contractor tractor shopping next week to get me a decent tractor for me to use for the next 2 years for bedtilling, hauling in the harvest both cereals and spuds and other general work

im thinking a new holland or john deere about 150-160HP

post-2337-132639608951_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639608971_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639608993_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639609005_thumb.jpg

you look to have a good job there should be good going tractor shopping

does the contractor do a lot of work for them or just a bit

i do enjoy working there as there is something different to do all the time

tractor shopping will be interesting as we are looking for a multi purpose tractor that can do a range of jobs from planting/bedtilling to hauling, ploughing and sprayin ect...

i think we are going for around a 150-160HP tractor

the contractor does help out in busy times i.e harvest (both cereals & root crop), plantin & drilling. he also does some of the hedge cutting. we have all of the trailers and impliments apart from the plough and one of the big cultivators