Farming in Killeshandra

Farmermilkin82.050

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi great pictures.. is the 590 your only tractor also what implements you got

We also have a mf 65 and a 35x which are both being restored at the minute ;)

We have a bale trailer, x2 bale spikes, bale lifter, old drum mower, haybob, fleming transport box, hydralic transport box, major topper, and a nut trailer and a small cattle trailer) and maybe a new mower sometime ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Its been a while, and lots have changed :)

Our herd is moving in the right direction and we now have 35 cows and about 8 in calf heifers that will calve late summer :D

We're rearing some of the better heifer calves of last year and they have come on well, and I am halter training a pedigree charolais bull for selling at a big pure bred mart in a place called Carrick on Shannon.

At the moment I own two calves, one a 8 month old belgium blue heifer and a two week old bull calf that I am bucket fed ;)

The cows and in calf heifers are eating more than 5 kg of DM silage and no concentrates (meal) but are given a bucket of lick which is full of nutrients.

We are hoping that all 30 scanned cows are all pure bred calves and a good lot of heifers ;D

We are renting about 90-100 acres of fairly good grass land, I was very happy with the growth rate over the summer, and I recorded about 40-50kg of DM grass a day :D

I would hope to buy more land and not to be renting as much over the future,

I'll leave you with some pictures of the charolais pedigree bull and a few others,

James ;):)

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

One of the stock bulls :)

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

My blue bull calf ;D

DSC01936.jpg

Land isn't good any more- those were the good days ;D:D

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

Are you in and out of market at all? Continentals seem to have picked up in the trade down here quite a lot so Howards have been buying Herefords and Angus weaners to fill the shed up, 50 odd now. They came after a good sale of 40 or 50 stores, some  bought last year and others reared from the farms Continental calves.

Are you in and out of market at all? Continentals seem to have picked up in the trade down here quite a lot so Howards have been buying Herefords and Angus weaners to fill the shed up, 50 odd now. They came after a good sale of 40 or 50 stores, some  bought last year and others reared from the farms Continental calves.

What do you mean mate? ;)

Its nearly all continentals down our way, except a few dairy farms, its what were good at :D

Even my family , like my grandad has sold that many pedigree bulls to farmers he would be known as a good farmer, one time when he was starting out, he had 3 or 4 herefords and some lads from Sweden came over and bought all off him :D And as he says everytime he tells the story, he always says, those Swedish men only bought the best ;D

Do you buy and sell at market either buying and selling or just going along to keep an eye on prices and so on?

Yes sorry ::) I'm not very tuned in :D We buy and sell , we sell our weaned calves , usually which are the bulls or bad heifers.

Our last buys were two pedigree limousin heifers, one has calved 3 days ago, to a pure bred bull calf and the other is heavily in-calf.

we will be going to a pedigree sale in Carrick on Shannon where I hope to buy a Ped Charolais heifer, or maybe two ;D:)

Yes I suppose so Tris, but you see when a heavily in calf animal comes into the ring and saying shes about to calve in next few weeks puts up the starting bid by a fair bit and also when they claim its in-calf to a pedigree ai easy calving bull ;D

The calf is keeping well, I wasn't sure if he was standing up yet, but a few days ago I saw him up, I must take a photo of him and me blue :D

We had a herd test in our second herd , I hope it went well, wasn't there was in school >:(

A few pictures, We are thinking about selling one of our pedigree charolais cows that is empty this year and has been a few times :-\

I'm not happy, she is a good animal.

DSC01952.jpg

The charolais, 8 females, one male , and 6 females pedigree and pedigree bull :)

DSC01951.jpg

These cattle were brought home for herd test tomorrow

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

The stock  ;D

A few pictures, We are thinking about selling one of our pedigree charolais cows that is empty this year and has been a few times :-\

I'm not happy, she is a good animal.

Being a dairy farmer at heart I can see the difficulty in having to get rid of an unproductive cow, but for overall herd viability sometimes you have to cull/sell those cows and get in some new blood

Being a dairy farmer at heart I can see the difficulty in having to get rid of an unproductive cow, but for overall herd viability sometimes you have to cull/sell those cows and get in some new blood

I know Pat, but you see I asked him if we could buy a pedigree heifer then he said no, we'll have to start selling off stock :'(

I hope it doesn't get to that

I know Pat, but you see I asked him if we could buy a pedigree heifer then he said no, we'll have to start selling off stock :'(

I hope it doesn't get to that

Hopefully not, I was too young to remember when we sold our dairy cows but for my grandad it must have been hell as they were a big part of his life at the time.

Hopefully not, I was too young to remember when we sold our dairy cows but for my grandad it must have been hell as they were a big part of his life at the time.

I know too well, when my uncle stopped, I remember when i was only five, bringing freisans out to grass after milking ;D

I hope none go, but he annoyed me when he said it. Our neighbour is down with tb >:(