Buildings!

harvey123

Question

Well guys I've run a ground with ways to build some buildings,i've thought about spraying the brushwood buildings with a cncrete spray, i've thought about using wood and i'm now thinking about plastruct but the only thing is i've never really had much experience with it and was wondering on what peoples views on it are ?

any help is much appreciated ! :D

also what do you guys use for base boards for them ?

Cheers in advance! :)

Mark

12 answers to this question

all of mine are scratch built, i tend to use what ever suits the building i want, have a wood pole dutch barn from 6mm dowel, and card covering, also have a all plasti strut one as a new style machinery shed, a new pig unit thats plasti card brick wall, and then timber clad above with lolly sticks, and a balsa frame work in that, and  the pig units are all from a material called scaleox(think thats how it was spelt??) which is now sadly not avaiable, which is a sort of brick material, and the inners ect are from plastic and balsa wood

the choice of material really depends on how new or old the farm will be truth be known ,i do have plans at some point to make a copy of the old ash tree farm for real in 32nd as a display at shows board, as i have a areial photo to work from ,would be early 70's od and that would be a fair mix of material to

I also have plans to convert a Brushwood building. I've always been impressed by the build of these products and think they could be made to look quite realistic. When we start I'll put pics on FTF, but for starters we'll cover the roof and part of the wall with corrugated card and I've also made up some breeze block paper to cover the lower part. With the addition of Plastruct guttering, downpipes and ridge tile I think it'll make quite a difference. I like your idea of concrete paint too :)

For scratchbuild we use a 6mm MDF baseboard (I think that's what most people use :-\ )

I also have plans to convert a Brushwood building. I've always been impressed by the build of these products and think they could be made to look quite realistic. When we start I'll put pictures on FTF, but for starters we'll cover the roof and part of the wall with corrugated card and I've also made up some breeze block paper to cover the lower part. With the addition of Plastruct guttering, downpipes and ridge tile I think it'll make quite a difference. I like your idea of concrete paint too :)

For scratchbuild we use a 6mm MDF baseboard (I think that's what most people use :-\ )

i like your conversion ideas of the brushwood buildings.they do look a bit artificial,mandy and the description of how to use plastruct on your website  is really useful to anyone starting out using it for the first time.......handy to know what profile shapes and sizes to order

It all depends what you want, how much you can afford, the time available and your experience (which will get better the more you do).

Think about all those factors, look through the model farm topics for ideas and have a look through this section too, there are topics with a lot of advice in already I am sure  :)

i like your conversion ideas of the brushwood buildings.they do look a bit artificial,mandy and the description of how to use plastruct on your website  is really useful to anyone starting out using it for the first time.......handy to know what profile shapes and sizes to order

Thanks John - I just think it's a shame that they have to be sold once more detail and realism is required. They're so expensive to buy in the first place - I think it would be nice to just be able to adapt them :)

I think the other lads/lasses have covered most of it but I would say the first thing to think about is what tools you have at your disposal.  You only need basic craft tools for Plastruct but for working with MDF some good power tools would be of great benefit.

Base wise don't go for anything less than 6mm I would sugest 9mm MDF would be better as it doesn't flex too much.

It all boils down to your personal abillities and preferences to what materials you use for a building  Start simple and then as you get more confident  the sky is the limit.

Regards Scott

I think the other lads/lasses have covered most of it but I would say the first thing to think about is what tools you have at your disposal.  You only need basic craft tools for Plastruct but for working with MDF some good power tools would be of great benefit.

Base wise don't go for anything less than 6mm I would sugest 9mm MDF would be better as it doesn't flex too much.

It all boils down to your personal abillities and preferences to what materials you use for a building  Start simple and then as you get more confident  the sky is the limit.

Regards Scott

cheers  ;)

so then, tomorrow i'm goin to sort out my brushwood buildings,

anybody know where i can get concrete effect spray from ?

alsi for yorkshire boarding what are the strips of wood called and can you get them in homebase or anywhere like that ?

cheers in advance Mark

yorkshire boarding i use is basicly coffee striing sticks from the likes of maccy d's, although hunt on ebay and they are for sale, bags of 1000 odd or less, as for the spray, i would guess b&q would have it, its plasticoat from memory, and they stock that in my local one for sure