Plant and Machinery

B O R

since november past ive been working for a local plant firm...duties include washing down,stripping down,preparing for painting,sandblasting,building up and valeting mainly diggers....ive seen quite a few go in and out and it wasnt to yesterday we were fitting a new slew ring to a fiat hitachi fh130 that i thought itd be interesting to post up a few pics as i go along for you,s to see heavy palnt with the guts pulled out of them getting repaired...must say im definately learning a lot about diggers

pic 1 shows a komatsu 45 ton lifting the whole top of the fh130 after all the feed hoses were disconnected

post-1779-132639624306_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639624346_thumb.jpg

Me too.. thanks for sharing.. I bet that respary invoice won't be cheap  :of 

As for the slew ring repair... is that 'safe' to lift the digger head off with another digger like that  :of  .. I don't think I'd fancy standing too near it when they did  :of

Safer than the way we do them at work ::)

its safe when a machine like the 450 does the lift,its well within her capabilities..it takes the whole top lifted straight up as any side movement could cause the upper part of the digger to collide with the 2 hydraulic fittings on top of the motor equaliser...there would be some 9 ton there swinging about and its hard to hold her steady after the lift....the job itself only took about 1 hour to fit,it was the stripping down and removing all the hoses that took time,they are so awkward to get a spanner on to loosen....the 45 tonner also got a slew ring,this time a merlo lifted the back of her and the hoses were left on so the machine could lift the front herself,i wasnt there but sounds hairy,youd need both machines lifting at exactly the same time

Me too.. thanks for sharing.. I bet that respary invoice won't be cheap  :of 

As for the slew ring repair... is that 'safe' to lift the digger head off with another digger like that  :of  .. I don't think I'd fancy standing too near it when they did  :of

As long as the workers were wearing the correct hi viz jacket, steel toe boots and a hard hat it would be perfectly safe :) :)

yes robert,i hear those hi vis vests offer good protection when a 9ton digger falls on you,it would make it a lot easier for the undertaker to find you and measure you up for the big wooden box......i suppose there just wouldnt be a safe way