advice required

jaywilli7610

Question

Im turning my hand to a few conversions at the moment.  Very green on the subject so advice would be very much appreciated.

1. How do i get the tracks off a britains jcb excavator (the old type). 

2. How do i get the back wheels off britains tractors(ford5610, deutz and volvo)?

many thanks in anticipation. 

Some pictures added, any ideas?

post-1965-132639628473_thumb.jpg

post-1965-132639628476_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

As for the tractors, I know you can hold one wheel in your right hand and on in your left and twist them in opposite directions. As for the tracks, no idea here I'm afraid. Maybe soaking them in warm water will supple them up enough to twist them off the idler on one end or the other?

the tracks just stretch over, they're pretty tough, I've just recently taken some off a 40yr old one where the melt of the yellow wheels had oozed right over the track plates, so I peeled that back and trimmed it sufficiently to be able to take the tracks off as I am about to launch a white-metal set of six idler wheels as replacements for these as they seem to suffer terribly from melt like the tractor wheels of that era.

Just need to find the right shade of yellow for them, although that varies over the 20+ yrs they were in production.

There will be 2 different sets as the early, spring-loaded chassis has a different pair one end as opposed to the rigid undercarriage of the later type.

In fact they're available now if anyone wants to paint their own?