The Great Brochure Debate...

Quite divided on this subject, I wont just go to a show to get brochures then bang them on E-bay but also have a large collection of brochures and a keen instead on tractor and farm machinery this certainly helps out at work when buying new kit for the fleet. I will only sell anything I have 2 off even if new not only that it helps me to buy any thing that missing from my collection with having a young family this help me to finance a great hobby as well giving me a better knowledge of products to buy.

It is a little disconcerting when you see modern brochures offered for sale but like any printed ephemora once it is out of date and passes into the annals of time then they do become collectable and therefore carry a certain monetary value. Years gone by when we older ones as children and young adults attended County Shows and machinery open days we would ask for these as they were free just out of interest rather than perceive that they would become of some value in time and as said, they were aimed as a promotional aid for the manufacturers and suppliers to inform the potential customer of what they could be buying, after all, it was no good buying a machine without reading up and knowing something about it. Just see what old railway posters, film posters and other advertising printed matter can command in price, thousands of pounds in some cases. It's all about nostalga and memories of a time past and at the time they were current who would have thought back then that they would actually be worth anything? So don't be too hard on people offering the modern brochures for sale, those of you that live long enough to see these again in 50 or 60 odd years time will probably wish you had a shed full.

i di used to get loads of brochures as i loved looking at the machinery but then that died off really the older i got but i have got a load of old brochures that im selling, i know selling.but they are not ones you would give away as some of them are so rare and hard to get hold of i would not give them away. i also have a county opperators manual for sale and that is due to it being in mint condition and it being 37 years old, but when they are new brochures that u can just get off a shelf i think its stupid that people are selling them and the simple answer is not to buy them.

Powerabbit,

Fair comment.....but I think there's a difference between modern and 'current'. I agree that once something becomes obsolete or a year or two old, then fair enough. It's just a bit disheartening when you see a brochure that has just been issued, literally that month, being sold on eBay by someone who's trying to make a quick 99p or more.

Like I say, I think people who do this are spoiling it for the genuine tractor brochure collectors who enjoy adding to their collections by picking up brochures from shows and dealerships.

R Day