scratch building

JoshParkinson

Question

7 answers to this question

I started to make scratch built models a few weeks ago and I think the best thing, as a starter is a bale lifter.

I have made other things now like a transport box, a aw silage trailer and a double bale lifter .

But if you try your hand at a bale lifter which is a good start. ;)

James.

I started to make scratch built models a few weeks ago and I think the best thing, as a starter is a bale lifter.

I have made other things now like a transport box, a aw silage trailer and a double bale lifter .

But if you try your hand at a bale lifter which is a good start. ;)

James.

right mate i could do a bale lifter i suppose, i will have a think and see what anybody else says then i'll make a decision, pretty good idea though  :)

try something simple, small general purpose trailer, link box, something like that, the less complex moving parts the better, simple straight angled sides . this will allow you to get used to basic cutting ect, how certain glues work and bond the bits, plasti weld works different to super glue, model glue different again . if in doubt test it on some scrap plastic first. draw out plans this helps no endand hunt the net for reference pictures to if possable, this can show smaller differences not always clear in brouchures , by doing a trailer or similar  its all pretty simple stuff, but  it allows pratice for later more complex builds  . as we say at work "keep it simple" the more you do the easier it will seem

try something simple, small general purpose trailer, link box, something like that, the less complex moving parts the better, simple straight angled sides . this will allow you to get used to basic cutting ect, how certain glues work and bond the bits, plasti weld works different to super glue, model glue different again . if in doubt test it on some scrap plastic first. draw out plans this helps no endand hunt the net for reference pictures to if possable, this can show smaller differences not always clear in brouchures , by doing a trailer or similar  its all pretty simple stuff, but  it allows pratice for later more complex builds  . as we say at work "keep it simple" the more you do the easier it will seem

ok i might do something like a weight block or maybe a small trailer, not too sure yet though

So starting with a combine harvester is a bad idea?  :-X;D

I have been toying with the idea of scratchbuilding something but not sure where to start in terms of tools, glues, paints, materials etc... I did think of getting a scaledown model first to build thus giving a good starting point in learning how these things go together.

I've done some conversions but these are more cosmetic tweaking, plus I personally need to develop some patience as I just want to build a perfect tractor tomorrow!!

I have been toying with the idea of scratchbuilding something but not sure where to start in terms of tools, glues, paints, materials etc... I did think of getting a scaledown model first to build thus giving a good starting point in learning how these things go together.

I've done some conversions but these are more cosmetic tweaking, plus I personally need to develop some patience as I just want to build a perfect tractor tomorrow!!

Sounds like me !  :laugh: i've got a few conversions on the go at the moment it's just i've never done scratchbuilding before :)

er um not that bad when you see the 625 i must confess :-[:-[ :-[:-[  sort of made a wally of my self there didn't i  ::) ::) . thing is before that when younger i had done loads of airfix kits, stuff like that, and had been doing a far few conversions prior to the build to, so i wasnt a complete "no idea" person when i did her, it really depends on how far you want to push yourself really