Vintage tractor

JoshParkinson

Well i'm not working at the moment as i had a falling out with one of the lads at my old work as many of you may know so i felt it was best i left, so i have no end of time on my hands when i'm not at school and i just want something to keep me occupied, yeah i have my 125cc pitbike to rag around the garden but sometimes i just want something to tinker about with etc, so i was thinking of treating myself to a vintage tractor? i was at first thinking of a massey 35 but they are bloomin' expensive and there's not overly many around for sale even though they are lovely tractors, so i was thinking about either a fergie, or a little john deere? i love fergies, however i'm a complete john deere nut (so much so i am making a john deere shrine in my bedroom) i was just wondering what you guys think and if i was to have a john deere what would be the best model to have and what the price would be like for a runner in good nick?

A great deal will depend on your budget and availability of tractors to buy. The problem with JD's is that they only started to become popular in the UK in the late 80's although there may be occasional tractors before that date.

I would suggest that you might have more luck with an International 414/434 which some people say are better that the MF135 and quite a lot cheaper.

There will also be Fordson Dexta's which share the Perkins engine with the 135 and again are a bit cheaper.

A great deal will depend on your budget and availability of tractors to buy. The problem with JD's is that they only started to become popular in the UK in the late 80's although there may be occasional tractors before that date.

I would suggest that you might have more luck with an International 414/434 which some people say are better that the MF135 and quite a lot cheaper.

There will also be Fordson Dexta's which share the Perkins engine with the 135 and again are a bit cheaper.

Well i wasn't after a 135 because they're even more expensive than the 35s which i was after, i think it will probably be a petrol fergie, or if i had enough money i would have a JD 4020 or model b, but i think it will probably end up being a petrol fergie when i find one.

Well i wasn't after a 135 because they're even more expensive than the 35s which i was after, i think it will probably be a petrol fergie, or if i had enough money i would have a JD 4020 or model b, but i think it will probably end up being a petrol fergie when i find one.

That's my plan too Josh. A  friend of mine bought his second petrol Ferguson for £650, which got me interested. Unless I can get an old 4wd for a reasonable price, which would be preferable, then that looks the best option. Let me know what you find! :)

Well Josh, for your age I commend your enthusiasm but personally, if I had my time again and was just starting out on planning a restoration project, I would go for a make of tractor that is small, in plentiful supply, parts easily accesable, obtainable and relatively cheap, basic, easy to work on and will show you a return on your investment. I'm thinking on the lines of the Ferguson TED20 diesel. Petrol being more than double the price of red diesel makes the running expensive and a straight petrol engined Fergie are harder to find' The T20 petrol/TVO have issues with electrics, more of them, and running issues in having to mix your own TVO equivalent. The diesel 20 is a more practical tractor in that there are no electrics other than starting and lighting systems and would be a bit more desireable and easier to sell after restoration if you so wished to do so to 'trade up'. I'm talking up this tractor because all the parts that you may need for a restoration are readily available, there are many Companies that stock and sell all the parts you would need to actually build a brand new one as long as you have all the main castings, you just have to look at the Sparex and Vapormatic catalogues to see the vast amount of parts available to you. Of course, there are other makes that are old favourites such as the International B250, Fordson Dexta etc.

Well Josh, for your age I commend your enthusiasm but personally, if I had my time again and was just starting out on planning a restoration project, I would go for a make of tractor that is small, in plentiful supply, parts easily accesable, obtainable and relatively cheap, basic, easy to work on

could not agree more, i myself brought a David Brown not a tractor i would buy again but at the time it seemed like a good idea. I would also for a 1st tractor sugest a grey fergie , they are pretty basic and all the parts are so easy to get & redily available at an agreeable price. Especially if you would be working on it by yourself being that bit smaller theyre much easier to work on & handle certain bits. The only trouble is finding a good one , it also depends how far you intend to go with a restoration as well. Hope you get something  ;)  not easy finding a good one.

That's my plan too Josh. A  friend of mine bought his second petrol Ferguson for £650, which got me interested. Unless I can get an old 4wd for a reasonable price, which would be preferable, then that looks the best option. Let me know what you find! :)

yep well a friend of mine has one and my dad is really interested in them as his mum used to drive one on a strawberry farm  :D

Well Josh, for your age I commend your enthusiasm but personally, if I had my time again and was just starting out on planning a restoration project, I would go for a make of tractor that is small, in plentiful supply, parts easily accesable, obtainable and relatively cheap, basic, easy to work on and will show you a return on your investment. I'm thinking on the lines of the Ferguson TED20 diesel. Petrol being more than double the price of red diesel makes the running expensive and a straight petrol engined Fergie are harder to find' The T20 petrol/TVO have issues with electrics, more of them, and running issues in having to mix your own TVO equivalent. The diesel 20 is a more practical tractor in that there are no electrics other than starting and lighting systems and would be a bit more desireable and easier to sell after restoration if you so wished to do so to 'trade up'. I'm talking up this tractor because all the parts that you may need for a restoration are readily available, there are many Companies that stock and sell all the parts you would need to actually build a brand new one as long as you have all the main castings, you just have to look at the Sparex and Vapormatic catalogues to see the vast amount of parts available to you. Of course, there are other makes that are old favourites such as the International B250, Fordson Dexta etc.

yeah there is that, but i wouldn't be running mine on red diesel it would be white diesel as i don't have access to the farms diesel tanks anymore, so a petrol one would be more viable for me as that is what my friend had and that was an excellent little tractor, i'd preferably like one fully restored but if it's just a matter of a few cosmetic jobs need doing i'm really not too bothered.

could not agree more, i myself brought a David Brown not a tractor i would buy again but at the time it seemed like a good idea. I would also for a 1st tractor sugest a grey fergie , they are pretty basic and all the parts are so easy to get & redily available at an agreeable price. Especially if you would be working on it by yourself being that bit smaller theyre much easier to work on & handle certain bits. The only trouble is finding a good one , it also depends how far you intend to go with a restoration as well. Hope you get something  ;)  not easy finding a good one.

well i mean as long as it runs well and doesn't look like it's been sat under a tree for the last 20 years then i'm alright with that, i don't mind giving it a coat of paint etc to make it look better if it's needed as i would probably do that a couple of years down the line to keep it in good nick anyway.

well i mean as long as it runs well and doesn't look like it's been sat under a tree for the last 20 years then i'm alright with that, i don't mind giving it a coat of paint etc to make it look better if it's needed as i would probably do that a couple of years down the line to keep it in good nick anyway.

Yea that is probably the best way to go about it realy start off with something simple that doesnt realy need much doing just some tinkering to keep you ocupied not a full on restoration.  :) 

Yea that is probably the best way to go about it realy start off with something simple that doesnt realy need much doing just some tinkering to keep you ocupied not a full on restoration.  :)

yep i knew i wouldn't be able to manage a restoration so i think it's best just to get a fully restored one.