Why is it so hard to find a JOB!!!!!

jordantaylor

ok, so ive finished at suckleys about 3 weeks ago now and i still calnt find a job

ive tried all the farms around telford and got fedup of pesstering them and so im trying further a field (about 100 miles)

im trying places on a transport route (railway line) so i can just get a train near there and stay there for however many days a week before traveling back for college for 3 days a week

ive tried farms and contractors around llandudno, abergele, glan conwy, rhyl, prestatyn, wrexham, ruabon and they either dont have the room for another worker. most of the farms i have tried are stock farms with sheep or cattle and some are mixed farms.

i am just wondering now where else to try as im starting to wonder if  will find a job now and i dont want to have to leave college for the sake of getting a job as the college course is proving too usefull to leave now.

what am i supposed to do as i need a job bt there is nothing out there and i AM NOT going to end up on the dol, thats something i promised myself would never happen

why are there no jobs on farms nowerdays????? there are te odd farms and that is it. even the big farms only have temporary places

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't college help you with something? This has been a summer of learning for you hasn't it. . . You could still be earning at JRO Griffiths (where you were before the last place?)!!

What kind of places are you trying, how are you approaching them, have you any references, have you a CV?

Can't college help you with something? This has been a summer of learning for you hasn't it. . . You could still be earning at JRO Griffiths (where you were before the last place?)!!

What kind of places are you trying, how are you approaching them, have you any references, have you a CV?

i have got a cv tris but i got fed up of sending it off and hearing nothing as its 4 pages long and so when im sending it off to groups of farms its using up ink and costing a bit now, and phoning them gets a direct answer, im contacting stock, arable and mixed farms all between 100-800 acres. ive also tried a few contracting groups but no work, a few farms have taken my details incase anything crops up but thats it,

ive tried the websites aswell looking for work but not allot on them and ive applied to what im suitable for and heard nothing.

all i can do is keep trying different areas around the country. im back at college next week so ill see if they can help but i might also put an advert up at the ploughing marathon and cultivations demo day in a few weeks time as many farmers and companies will be at that and so might be of some success if they see it.

i would have stayed at griffiths bt they just didnt have the work for me, i had allot of idle time there which was boring for me and costly for them. id go back if they had a vacancy but i want plenty of work (not just bits here and there).

what id do to get a stable permanent job ehh, like i had a poplars farm.

Shorten that cv! Nobody wants to read a four page CV especially from someone still mastering the art of shaving :D :D Visit farmerr directly and in person with a C.V, covering letter and references or at the very least referee 'phone numbers. Farming does offer less and less jobs due to mergers, bigger kit and tighter budgets but there is always a place for keen, interested, willing, polite and well mannered people. At 17 you're not going to set the world alight so try not to think you can. At the moment most of what you've got comes from your attitude and that has to be right to get anyone to look at you further. It sounds like you have contacted lots of people but if you're going about it in the wrong way you are burning bridges rather than building them.

It's a hard time of year to get a job in agriculture in any case really I suppose. If it's a case of NEEDING money, you may have look elsewhere. Anyone will tell you, being to get a job when you're unemployed is very, very difficult.

Sorry if all that sounds down beat mate but sometimes the answers to our questions are a lot closer than we think.

You don't really want work on the bigger farms do you? I'm just thinking as there's a big veg company near me (LFP) who are about 17,000 acres of veg and cereals, spread over 80 miles and they always seem to be taking lads on, they run modern kit, there's a train station in spalding, but it's up to you really, i can get you a phone number if you're interested, i'll leave it with you mate.

If they're always taking people on, they must always be getting rid of people too. . . . . :-[

well this is what im faced with anywhere tris so even if im only there a few months its better than doing nothing for a few months

a job is a job and i have to snap them up when they come along, its all part of being a seasonal worker,

crack on next year when im free to get a full time job anywhere in the country and college isnt holding me back

Personally without been mean i think the problem here is you and your attitude. There is no reason why have to look so far away for jobs because if your good enough the local farmers will here about you - but they obviously havn't. What i am tryong to say is you need to build a good reputation for ya sen and stop thinking you know everything

This thread was started by Jordan as a way for him to find a job. Whilst this is not the function of FTF the Mods have so far allowed it to continue as there may be some on here who can help.

However, we will not allow this to turn into a "political" thread about any Political party whether they are in Government or not.

Please try to keep to the original thread and the spirit of FTF

Mike Robinson

FTF Moderation team

There is work if you know where to find it, People always say there is no jobs on the news etc. But I still struggle at times to please everyone, There's day were I could be 4,5 different places. I never have nothing to do  ;) 

What I find is that if you can find something to do on wet days and something your able to do on dry days, as its always one or the other  ;)

i personally calnt see how people can judge me when they dont really know me, this makes me angry and then makes me look a different person to who i am

i dont think i know everything (people just assuming and judging)

and when i look for a job i am as polite as can be, i explain who i am and what i do ect... and ask if there is any part time work and all i have called have been very gratefull for me calling and have been more than willing to help me out by giving me other contacts ect...

i am enthusiastic, and its things like the crash which dont go in my favour

and when it comes to people hearing about me, its a load of tosh, most farmers are too busy to talk to other farmers about their workers, they only hear about you when you contact them and they want a reference

and as robbo said this is thread is for helping me find a job and not judging me , its people judging me that gives me a bad reputation,

and i have a few of the forum lot on facebook (mostly my age) and we all seem to have the same problem, being judged and looked down on like kids. everybody is different so dont let the actions of one change you view on everybody.

there are a few people on here that have made me wonder why i am on this forum in the first place, just getting slated over 1 misshap