An interesting book

PDH

Got the book today, great book. Very interesting articles on converting your stable into a cow byre or pig sty, real Post-world war2. The blue prints in the centre of the book are excellent and the measurements are of course in feet. If anyone is planning to make a post war farm this is the one, some of the chapters are very strange now reading them in the era of 200 plus horse power tractors. :D

Guest quangova

Hi Peter, yes its a very interesting book, the first edition was 1955 (which i have) and it went through a number of re-prints/revisions up untill 1974, damm fine book i say.  Added: just found out there was a 1976 reprint as well... think i'm gonna go for the set now,

Geoff

Dropped in to the Honiton bookshop and picked up the copy of the other book last night.  Only had a quick glance through it and this one is very good as well.

It's called Fram Buildings by John B Weller and this is Volume 1 Techniques, Design, Profit.  Published by Crosby Lockwood & Son Ltd 1965.  Mine is a first edition.  The copy I picked up actually came from the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food library!!

Lots of pictures, drawings and small scale plans.  Has a more modern feel to it, and there are some nice period adverts included from companies such as Atcost.  Volume 2 is called Farm Buildings: Structural Techniques and Materials Vol 2: Foundations and Floors.  On the rear cover is another book advertised -Farm Buildings Conversions and Improvements by W G Benoy which may also be of interest.

Another recommended book.

pdh, have you got the ISBN numbers for any of these books?....its easier to search for  :) :)

any chance you can scan a few pages ??? ???

The ISBN system only started about 30 years ago so not all books have them.  That's why I have given full details of title, author etc.

Anyway checking the three I have -

Build Your Own Farm Buildings by Frank Henderson Published by Dairy Farmer (Books) Ltd Second Edition 1960 has no ISBN Number

Build Your Own Farm Buildings by Frank Henderson Published by Farming Press Fifth Edition 1974 (reprinted 1975 and 1978) has ISBN Number 0 85236 042 8  Personally I would recommend the Second Edition

Farm Buildings Volume 1 by John B Weller Published by Crosby Lockwood and Son Ltd First Edition 1965 has no ISBN Number

I've tracked down a copy of the Benoy book and it's hopefully on its way.  I'll let you know what that is like.

What would you like scans of?

just a few of the layouts of barns, etc. to see what content it has if thats ok?? ??? ???

may pop into a sceond hand shop tomorrow to have a look  :) :)

OK Ben...I'll email them to you direct later today.  It will be easier that way rather than have to cut the image size to fit FTF.