An interesting book

PDH

Am off work today and was dragged into Honiton by the wife to do some shopping.  Managed to get 10 minutes reprieve and nipped into a good second hand bookshop I visit regularly.

The owner knowing my interested in farming had kept a book back for me.  It's called Build Your Own Farm Buildings, written by Frank Henderson and published by Dairy Farmer Books in 1955.  I know its old but the contents are amazing....pictures, drawings and in the middle 32 pages of Farm Buildings plans with dimensions, layouts.  These cover everything from cowhouses, milking parlours, yards to pig buildings, sheep dips, grain stores.  For two pounds I grabbed it.  The owner says the guy who brought in has others and I'm waiting to see what these are like.  Yes it's dated but gives some useful info on designing and building a model farm, particularly if you a building a period one.

Recommended.

no i think i was right as you did say the best county so somerset can be the only answer  ;)

are you going to build a period farm board then ? or mix it up a bit with some modern stuff as well :)

I'm thinking that I will base it on a period farm (post-war) and then add modern stuff so it shows renewal as farming practices and methods have changed in the last 60 years. 

Got a name for it (St Mary's Farm) and a general layout.  Size about 550-600 acres, with approx 250 acres cereals, 125 acres potatoes and the rest used for raising beef with fields for silage and grazing with some woodland and farm buildings.  All one block of land with the yard next to a main road.

Idea is to be as self-sufficient as possible with straw from the cereals being used for the beef and the slurry/manure going back on the fields.  The pototoes 'cos I like the kit they use.  Probably based somewhere along the A303/A30 Somerset/Devon area (yes I know that the land may not be suitable for potatoes but one can pretend!).  Am currently sorting out he general farm plan and then will do the detailed farm yard plan and construction can start.

Kit will be mainly Fendt and Claas....I want to be able to use my Fendt 930 and 936 with some big tackle!  :) :)

Will keep you up to date with progress but be patient as that thing call work is getting in the way.

ah another devonian eh,has he any more copys of it then?

Unfortunately he only had the one but there's two on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FARMING-BUILD-YOUR-OWN-FARM-BUILDINGS-HB-DW-1974_W0QQitemZ8388994821QQcategoryZ29262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  AND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Build-Your-Own-Farm-Buildings-by-Frank-Henderson_W0QQitemZ8391712657QQcategoryZ21535QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These look like two different editions (mine is a second edition from 1960).  Suspect the contents are pretty much the same.  Also try abebooks.co.uk there are quite a few on here at various prices.  Looking at those listed on abe there would appear to be five editions.  Might try and get hold of a fifth edition to see what the revsions are.

Just bought it for 4 quid from abebooks.co.uk, they have quite a few.

Hope you enjoy it smallclaas.  Abebooks is a great place to look for books such as these. 

Had a phone call from the bookshop late yesterday afternoon.  They have had another one come in, same subject, different book/author etc.  Hopefully pick it up at the weekend and I'll post the details.

Unfortunately he only had the one but there's two on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FARMING-BUILD-YOUR-OWN-FARM-BUILDINGS-HB-DW-1974_W0QQitemZ8388994821QQcategoryZ29262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  AND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Build-Your-Own-Farm-Buildings-by-Frank-Henderson_W0QQitemZ8391712657QQcategoryZ21535QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These look like two different editions (mine is a second edition from 1960).  Suspect the contents are pretty much the same.  Also try abebooks.co.uk there are quite a few on here at various prices.  Looking at those listed on abe there would appear to be five editions.  Might try and get hold of a fifth edition to see what the revsions are.

A copy of the fifth edition of this book has just arrived in the post.  It is different to the second edition I picked up earlier in the week, no plans for a start.  It looks as if it has had a makeover but still very interesting, lots of photos's, drawings etc.  Not had time to compare the two yet.  The later edions would appear to have a brown and white dust jacket with two workers shovelling on the front.  Suggest you try and get a second edition if you can just for the plans.

I got the first edition, hope it has the plans or I'll feel very sad :'( :'(

You should be OK.  They are in the second edition.  Just shows how things can change though!!