When did Tomy buy Ertl and Britains?

PDH

Thanks Erik.

Well that slipped through with no comment. Happened nearly 8 months ago as well.

Here's another article http://www.toynews-online.biz/features/308/NEWS-ANALYSIS-The-Tomy-RC2-acquisition

Does this will mean good things for the Ertl and Britains brands with Tomy's money available or a worse case scenario of not being suitable for the Tomy empire and being sold on again?

Very old news, but as usual everyone on FTF was too busy bickering about other things to notice :) (I mentioned it a couple of times, but it drew no comments, so assumed that nobody else cared :- ). Bill Walters mentioned it on the Ertl blog a while ago too, and suggested it wouldn't make a big difference to the way Ertl is run or what it produces, but we will have to wait and see.

I was told some time ago that Craig Varley had departed from Britains, but nobody has mentioned that on here either. I would say the future development of Britains is somewhat uncertain at present.

Edited by ploughmaster

• 2 months later...

Tomy do the Johnny Lightning range too, and that has some spectacular models - mainly diecast with plastic parts, but good likenesses of the prototype modelled. As long as they don't go towards the mainly plastic route for the 1.32 scale, we could be in for some interesting models.

my bet it will go all plastic >:( >:( well more that it is already.

Whilst some of you seem very anti-plastic, it is a fact that use of plastic allows for far sharper moulding and finer detail than is possible in metal ;)

Bill Walters posted about the takeover elsewhere, and his opinion seemed to be that it would not really have any significant affect on how Ertl operate (and therefore Britains too) .

I would think the change in management of the Britains brand in Exeter (the departure of Craig Varley last summer and his replacement by Emilia Lawes) may possibly have greater implications for the future.

Having spoken to Emilia, I would say she and her team will continue to do the right thing for Britains. One thing to note was her insistence for keeping a strong relationship with FTF which was good news. :)

I can't see too much changing to be honest, Tomy are a respected and savvy manufacturer with a history of brand building and protecting the identity of brands it has bought in the past. I don't see an issue with plastic either, it's more versatile than most metals and we are talking about toys after all.

Whilst some of you seem very anti-plastic, it is a fact that use of plastic allows for far sharper moulding and finer detail than is possible in metal ;)

Bill Walters posted about the takeover elsewhere, and his opinion seemed to be that it would not really have any significant affect on how Ertl operate (and therefore Britains too) .

I would think the change in management of the Britains brand in Exeter (the departure of Craig Varley last summer and his replacement by Emilia Lawes) may possibly have greater implications for the future.

No plastic is good but it is when the use to much and just like a 2 part mould to make the whole thing.