Why Dont The Manufactures Listen To ?

Mike R

I have been a member on here for a long time, almost every new release that comes in within hours someone does some changes to it and most of the time its vastly improved I have just been looking at the New Britain,s Kane trailer that someone changed and has added some good detail and minor changes.

Why cant the manufacturers get a custom builder on board before finalising the model for production, I know there are some brillaint skilled builders on here who could show them a thing or two about a better product.

They introduce a new tractor then they bring it out in every colour available under the sun.With the financial meltdown collectors cant keep up with all the new releases unless they have deep pockets or have won the lottery.I would like better detail and quality modles and less of each model released in a budjet that we all couls afford,am I asking too much really ??

Mike R

Yes,and no,in my eyes.

Yes,in that model builders should increase the quality of models and should indeed be taking the community's guidance and opinion on board.

No,in that britains (in the example of the trailer) are making models for,no offence to anyone here,children mainly,their main market is likely children,and the majority of kids likely wouldnt be able to identify the problems that serious collectors have with models.

I,myself,am not fond on some aspects of the kanes,but at a glance they do look great,and really,at that price you cannot complain.

Sellers are going to make money from modifying them and i say good on them.

You cant compare a 15 quid britains trailer to a 100 quid custom trailer,I would never buy a custom trailer because i havent the cash so im really pleased with britains trailer in that aspect.

Consider,also,the cost of making the trailers,britains,i think,go for low price rather than high quality,which is good and bad.

Perhaps the Britains Kane trailer isn't a terribly good example - extra detail on what is primarily a toy will significantly add to cost and will possibly fall foul of regulations governing the 3+ age group they are aimed at..

I do know what you mean though regarding most of the model production, and I fully agree with you. Very often the model manufacturers don't seem to do their research properly and particularly with older machines that need to be physically measured up, they don't take account of 20 or 30 years of farmers and operators adding bits and modifying bits, and faithfully reproduce all these oddites onto the scale model, thereby losing some of the accuracy and appeal to collectors. All it would take is a look at a contemporary brochure in many cases, or a first hand discussion with someone who really does know what is correct. The classic example was the perfectly modelled farmer-bodged plough lamp bracket on the UH 16th scale Ford 5000 (and them also fitting the UK tax disc holder on the North American version ::) ).

I also agree with the multi variations all coming at once (they could perhaps string them out a bit). However, with the way that toys are manufactured now, it may be that they need to make the full number they need all in one go - the factories making them are basically contractors and the model has to be built in a 'slot' in the schedule, before the factory moves on to another model (possibly from another manufacturer). It's not like the old days when Britains, Ertl Siku, ROS et al had their own factories in their home country and had full control over what to produce and when, and could do a shortish run at a whim.

Particularly with models (rather than toys) it is a limited market and producing lots of variations garners more sales from the same tooling, which keeps cost to an acceptable level. However, I think we are fast reaching saturation point for what people can a. afford, and b. find room to display (or store), and I feel there is a danger of those manufacturers who put out lots of different versions could end up killing the goose.......

Edited by ploughmaster

some very good points here fom mike, clive and reece. age certification is a problem for britains, and ertl especially as the u.s.a rate a lot of u.k spec toys at 14 years. i am only into this hobby recently, but had loads of britains stuff when i was a kid [i wish i had kept them]. kids need to be cattered for as they will be the next generation of our hobby. i know there seems to be a saturation of model variant releases, but it is up to us all to be more disciplined in our buying. i have a marge 7610 2wd and for me that will do for now for the gen 1 range [ sorry clive] and i will probably only get one 4wd tw. the strategy for my ford collection is to get o couple of models from each tractor design through the decades. i personally cant understand buying models to put in the loft, only unless 1,a better detailed release of same machine is released, or 2, you are buying for investment. clive is right when he says models are on a limited run, so factories make the most of tooling. if these firms cant make the most money out of a production run, then they might stop producing farm models, and then where would we be. the market seems to be well covered for most tastes and detail and the models we all want will probably arrive one day, e.g schuco deere 4955. this is only my opinion of course, and look forward to reading everyone elses thoughts. just remember- dont buy something just to say you have it, get it because you love it. reem ;)

Yes,and no,in my eyes.

Yes,in that model builders should increase the quality of models and should indeed be taking the community's guidance and opinion on board.

No,in that britains (in the example of the trailer) are making models for,no offence to anyone here,children mainly,their main market is likely children,and the majority of kids likely wouldnt be able to identify the problems that serious collectors have with models.

I,myself,am not fond on some aspects of the kanes,but at a glance they do look great,and really,at that price you cannot complain.

Sellers are going to make money from modifying them and i say good on them.

You cant compare a 15 quid britains trailer to a 100 quid custom trailer,I would never buy a custom trailer because i havent the cash so im really pleased with britains trailer in that aspect.

Consider,also,the cost of making the trailers,britains,i think,go for low price rather than high quality,which is good and bad.

Good reply and I'm in full agreement with you. Manufacturers are starting to watch the hobby and listen (at the expense of the cottage industry in custom and scratch building but that's another subject entirely). Some are making toys, others are making models. There is a distinct difference and it usually the price which confirms which market it is aimed at.

Particularly with models (rather than toys) it is a limited market and producing lots of variations garners more sales from the same tooling, which keeps cost to an acceptable level. However, I think we are fast reaching saturation point for what people can a. afford, and b. find room to display (or store), and I feel there is a danger of those manufacturers who put out lots of different versions could end up killing the goose.......

So in this regard Britains/Tomy will have a more secure future than that of say UH or Wiking if they keep their primary focus on the toy market, but having their feet in both camps so to speak supports their profit margins when one market sags.