Oakley Estate Farms

1 hour ago, Fenside MF said:

like the update alex,bit surprised you went for a trailed sprayer i always thought they were awkward on headlands and in field corners,some say its a step back when you've had an sp sprayer,was the price difference a factor

To be honest it is a step back In someways however the way I look at it is a step forward, but an affordable step forward, we are still keeping the self propelled, will need it for high clearance in rape etc, it's simply an easy option to take the pressure off at peak times as we struggled last year with timings particularly rape at flowering was late as we were tied up with T1/T2. We have available man power and tractor already and simply can't justify another self propelled-not enough work load. Also it was a nice sized tank on it too that will work well with our unimog and bowser. I grant you headlands will be a pain though! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well in the last week it's felt like spring is finally just around the corner which has meant we have woken from our winter slumber. Compost is being hauled in from Dimmer by Dan, Mark and myself, tipped on ground for spring beans, our commitment to upping organic matter continues and will be spread by Orchard Contractors in a couple weeks. We've had the sprayer out stretching its booms spraying off cover crops, may have to relook at this structure as it's leaving grounds wet in early spring, these will need to be topped before we think about opening up to let some air in. We are into the last week of hedgetrimming and should wrap things up on Saturday as we use the last week to work round the AD maize grounds. We have some recs' for Single top on some rape hit by pigeons over winter but it's yet to arrive so need to chase up Pearce Seeds fertiliser department tomorrow as I'm keen to get this on asap. If it arrives I'll have to stick the 939 on the spreader-overkill I know but it's all iv got with Trimble at the mo for auto shut off and VRC. Amongst other things trailers are now the final things for the winter workshop, a little extension on the flatbed and the running gear on the bowser getting wax oiled to prevent rust from liquid fert.IMG_6847.thumb.JPG.99dd68a40a41087195a6fd954c53c32f.JPGIMG_6849.thumb.JPG.ab344942274f7eda5368d9a8f74a382b.JPGIMG_6848.thumb.JPG.3227b94685402e1ed58fe7ac40354db7.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oakley Farms said:

Extra set of wheels for a start and you have to back it into corners which is more tricky, so makes tramlines wider and generally more of a mess. 

Ok Alex,i can see what you mean about backing in to corners,but arent most trailed sprayers equipped with wheels that follow exacatley the path of the tractor wheels?

8 hours ago, Paul Palmer said:

Ok Alex,i can see what you mean about backing in to corners,but arent most trailed sprayers equipped with wheels that follow exacatley the path of the tractor wheels?

I believe so, some are still fixed axels but I wouldn't entertain a trailed sprayer without steering. It's the physical problem of going backwards, steering or no steering your front wheels will wander off the tram line when backing into corners, it doesn't really worry me as our tramlines are reasonably wide anyway just if it's wet it makes a mess but lets face it if it's that wet you probably shouldn't be out there anyway! Not a lot in it between SP or trailed really, just prefer SP

9 hours ago, Oakley Farms said:

I believe so, some are still fixed axels but I wouldn't entertain a trailed sprayer without steering. It's the physical problem of going backwards, steering or no steering your front wheels will wander off the tram line when backing into corners, it doesn't really worry me as our tramlines are reasonably wide anyway just if it's wet it makes a mess but lets face it if it's that wet you probably shouldn't be out there anyway! Not a lot in it between SP or trailed really, just prefer SP

thanks for the info and reply Alex

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to have everyone out doing things this week, with hedgetrimming now wrapped up Webby moves onto loading Orchards spreaders who are in spreading compost for us, James is on behind topping down cover crop down tight that's been sprayed off, fingers crossed it will start to dry out a little and we can get out and incorporate this. Sprayer is out between showers getting the last of the round up on catch crops ahead of Maize. He will move onto getting some herbicide on rape to clean up from winter, liquid feet on winter barley then back to fert on rape and probably straight into T0 and fert on wheat....where's that other sprayer too!? 3 guys are still on hauling in organic matter, the compost contract now finished we are topping up with digestate from local AD plant. In between all this we are finally putting up the new spray shed usually in the rain! IMG_6873.thumb.JPG.fc513db7e204983718406fd0b65efb4a.JPG

• Like 4

Start of another week, so much to be getting on with but conditions far from ideal so patience is going to be needed. We had to stop the spreaders on Friday as ground conditions started to become sticky making a mess. Saturday was a fine day, windy but we managed to get out on some of the sandiest ground at Wigborough to put on some liquid fert on winter barley, the beauty of liquid! We are organised in the yard to get going as soon as it dries which I'm confident won't take long. Plans for this week include to carry on with the spray shed which the purlins are now going on, finish mounting the N sensor to the 724 and work out how to get Trimble talking to it, and hopefully get the spreaders going again midweek along with the topper, be nice to think this time next week we will have some ground ripped up, tune in to find out

IMG_6881.thumb.JPG.1652d54f3bce88460567921cbf5f01f5.JPGIMG_6882.thumb.JPG.b87f46022aca3af9c5afb816a52590bf.JPGIMG_6883.thumb.JPG.32596926f0583666600ca8be093f556b.JPGIMG_6884.thumb.JPG.8ba61c91be5d325d0ff5e5e7de1119ef.JPG

• Like 4

Start of another fresh week with a settled forecast which is great news! Over last week despite the rain showers we got on with applying liquid fert on winter barley, moved onto the small amount of rape we have in and over the weekend moved onto the wheat, the unimog and bowser working a treat. The subsoiler is on taking out hedgetrimmer wheelings around headlands. Topping down cover crops which have died off well now behind orchard's spreaders is on going, moving onto chicken litter this week despite a slight mishap needing some fabrication work! The Topdown is going on today and get some ground turned around for spring bean drillingIMG_6887.thumb.JPG.09768d805cc0d023590bfdefa4e05446.JPGIMG_6888.thumb.JPG.81498177d4b6129f35116dd341457d5f.JPGIMG_6889.thumb.JPG.503849bba68b96c784dd9de88283dc17.JPG

• Like 3

Terrific layout you have their Alex:)..........my only crib would be to many dull coloured tractors;D........You could do with UH bringing out the 724 in the brighter new natural green Fendt colour.......................Our local dealer has a brand new demo 1050 in the new colour and it really looks superb.

Out with the old colour and in with the new I say:rolleyes:

P1050568.JPG

13 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Terrific layout you have their Alex:)..........my only crib would be to many dull coloured tractors;D........You could do with UH bringing out the 724 in the brighter new natural green Fendt colour.......................Our local dealer has a brand new demo 1050 in the new colour and it really looks superb.

Out with the old colour and in with the new I say:rolleyes:

P1050568.JPG

I couldn't agree more! I'd love the next fleet to be nature green with chrome kits, that won't be any time soon though!

A few pics from Sunday evening in the yard, started drilling spring beans yesterday thankfully, 340 acres drilled in two blocks at Moolham and Boxstone is good going for day one, managed another 50 this morning before the rain came down up at the top of Bay Hill, James is now on the rolls following Chris on the drill as the bowser takes a few days rest after completing liquid N on all wheat including wholecrop AD. Next job for the sprayer is second dose of N on the OSR as that is now racing through growth stages and then pre em the beans which is all mostly local work. We have struggled to get on the land early enough this year to complete all the primary cultivations in one go which allows the ground to dry before hitting secondary and drilling together so this year a week has been allowed between primary and secondary and then drilled the following day, the problem with this is a week hasn't been long enough to cover all the primary cultivations before that Challenger was required on the drill, so using the 939 has been invaluable on secondary cultivations keeping one challenger on primary and allowing the other to start drilling, as it stands at the moment we have 390 acres drilled with probably 200 odd acres ahead ready, and 600 acres untouched cover crop stubble so the drill will catch up for definite. We have starting to take a look at spud and maize ground now, topping cover crops on spud ground today, maize ground was sprayed off as that was overwintered with oats so no topping needed there, get in with the subsoiler on these as soon as the beans are in. Spray shed now being cladded and partition wall in looking good.IMG_6902.thumb.JPG.d8eb687caea28cdd109ffc756115d462.JPGIMG_6904.thumb.JPG.33406b757364120ef0abe27c14c44702.JPGIMG_6905.thumb.JPG.91dbaef0b3079f93369884bbc62a053d.JPGIMG_6906.thumb.JPG.dcd20b66f707190ebc6978589061d2ed.JPGIMG_6907.thumb.JPG.284b780fdef0fd39432db8e07eda1997.JPG

• Like 3