Aluminium figures

This is a thread for members to post their aluminium figures, obviously with me kicking it off with mine.

Wend-Al, based at Blandford in Dorset, was the only UK manufacturer of aluminium figures, a toy figure material which was somewhat more popular in some Continental countries. Quiralu in France was one of the biggest, and there was an arrangement with Quiralu to provide Wend-Al with moulds and expertise to get them started. Wend-Al only made aluminium toys for about a decade, 1946 to 1956, although the owner did produce a few figures in his garage as a hobby after the company ceased making aluminum toys, but continued making other stuff.

Aluminium figures are not usually marked with a company name, although stickers can be found still attached to a few in very good condition. There is a book about Wend-Al, written by enthusiast Philip Dean (& very good it is too), and I think there are also reference books about Quiralu and other European aluminium figures, but I don't have those. Some aluminium figures can be found in other general toy soldier/figure reference books, such as those by Richard O'Brien.

It seems it is impossible to make finely detailed figures from aluminium, so they tend to be a bit crude and cartoony, but if in good paint condition they do have a lot of charm. Because of their style, few of them look 'right' displayed with Britains or figures by many other companies, but they do look good with lead figures by some companies which are also a bit stylised or just plain crude, such as Segal and some by Charbens, JoHillCo, etc.

Note that some of the animals (see calf and goat) exist in two versions, with a base (earlier) or without a base (later - base lost to reduce costs).

post-2225-0-29837800-1340281618_thumb.jp post-2225-0-42164400-1340281655_thumb.jp post-2225-0-39975900-1340281699_thumb.jp post-2225-0-34349100-1340281734_thumb.jp post-2225-0-42440800-1340281777_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I seemed to have missed this topic.

I have some Wend-al items which I really love and an aluminium horse which does not appear in the Wend-al book (or any of my other "bibles"). Lost most of it's paint but it did not cost me a fortune. Can you look this up in your Quiralu book please, Mandy?

post-1145-0-05611400-1341563725_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I seemed to have missed this topic.

I have some Wend-al items which I really love and an aluminium horse which does not appear in the Wend-al book (or any of my other "bibles"). Lost most of it's paint but it did not cost me a fortune. Can you look this up in your Quiralu book please, Mandy?

post-1145-0-05611400-1341563725_thumb.jp

Nothing at all, Sue. Weird - most of the Quiralu working horses have a 'bang' tail (cut off straight at the bottom). :-

Nothing at all, Sue. Weird - most of the Quiralu working horses have a 'bang' tail (cut off straight at the bottom). :-

Thanks for looking Mandy. There is another on eBay as Wend-al with a question mark (and in very good condition). It is not in my Wend-al book either but is definitely aluminium. One for the "Unknown Maker" listings!

I have just acquired a Wend-al Farmer and the lady feeding the hens so my aluminium collection now contains people!

Well done Sue! I hope you soon find the farmer's wife holding a hen. With my interest in poultry, this is obviously one of my favourite figures, and I don't know of any other similar figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Over to Mandy as she has the Quiralu book. I bought it on ebay where it was described as We[n]dal/Segal but it certainly is neither. What intrigues me is that the head is beautifully detailed and the whole thing is very finely sculpted.