Dinky Farm Sets

People generally think of Dinky as producing only machinery - cars, trucks, tractors etc - but they did produce a lot of figures and some farm sets,

These are not mine but are part of a friends HUGE collection of Dinky Toys (he is known as "Mr Dinky") and for the past 8 or 9 years have been photographing his collection for Diecast Collector magazine articles.  I spent all of today opening box after box of accessories and these two beauties turned up.  Although they are O gauge I would dearly love to own them although I do have one of the horses.  These are in absolutely perfect condition and the boxes are too.  Perhaps I can persuade him to part with them? 

Probably not!

post-1145-0-71053000-1354103831_thumb.jp post-1145-0-70921800-1354103837_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Dinky Toys, or Meccano as they were in a previous life, made a vast range of figures, animals, road signs and other such stuff in the O scale, mainly to complement and accessorise their railway models which were supplied I believe to Hornby and Triang railways who later in time took over this side of Dinky toys production.

I have a few Dinky items, including a bull and a tractor in good condition. As I also have a few O guage railway and village buildings, including a pub and a church, both also very nice, I could do with a few more figures and animals to go with them. Britains also made some O Guage railway figures, and their very old 'B series' soldiers are in about the same scale. My B series soldiers look much better in most toy castles than the standard (1/32) scale soldiers/knights/etc which almost all kids actually used to play with them (I've previously mentioned the toy castle scale problems & design compromises). A few other lead manufacturers made some O guage and other smaller scale figures, such as the T&B farmer and farm worker, which could also be used to make a vintage O guage village display.  

Edited by david_scrivener

Yes Dave, Lilliput was designed for OO model railways and 1:76 scale.  Matchbox, which never had a standard scale because every toy fitted in the same box, was mainly 1:72 but I can remember as a child not buying a Matchbox London bus because it was the same size as their cars and looked silly!

Many buildings and building kits for the model railway enthusiast are often used for both HO and OO but they are different scales albeit not by much,

OO = 1:76

HO = 1:64

O = 1:43

1 = 1:32 (Military models 1:35)

I cannot remember the rest but you can look them up. The full list is quite long and there are variations