1/50th Convo

Well,raking in the spare room the other day trying to find box's to take my models to Aberdeen,I came across this,

Cat793Dwaffle_zps6fc212b9.jpg

It's a 1/50th scale Caterpillar 793D dumptruck ( 240 ton capacity ) it's a model I never really like because of that ridiculous "waffle" style skip on the back

1-50thPics012re3_zpsd88a835e.jpg

So watch TV on Sunday night I see the very good Outback Truckers on Sky,which just happened to feature the Australian heavy haul company North Queensland Haulage carrying one of those Cat 793's using a Kenworth 908 hauling a Drake trailers lowloader,these trailers can be hydraulicly opened anywhere from 8 feet right out to 12 feet no outriggers like we have here,so the skip got the chop,as did the cab half the wheels and also the front steps,I did eventually remove the nearside mirror,

I would have liked to chain it down,but the chains and tensioners I was going to use were just to big, >:( >:(

1-50thPics011re2_zpse2b94638.jpg

1-50thPics007re3_zps4d82be37.jpg

Regards

Joe.

Nick,the rear's are dead easy,just twist and pull,the fronts however are a different ball game,I needed to remove the complete wheel axle assembly because I wanted to reduce the wheels down to the bare minimum,the 1:1's are transported with just the hubs fitted,I still have to much "wheel" attached but I daren't remove anymore for fear for cracking the hubs,to remove the front's you need to remove the phillips / star screw holding the stub axle on,then use tweezers on the plastic pins holding the steering rods

then remove the ribbed outer section of the wheels which reduces the diameter by roughly 60% making them look a bit more realistic,

Regards

Joe.

Archived