Orkney model show 2013

8feetmower

Orcades model club will be holding their bi-annual show on the 14th & 15th of September.At least 3 farming displays that I know of as well as cars,trucks,lego etc.Will try & take photos & put them on here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is it being held at John :huh: I have never been to the Island and it has always been on my list of places to visit. At that time of year all the vintage rallies are over and the ploughing matches have not started so me thinks I need to plan some holidays around about that weekend. If I can make it another show report from the furthest North I have been for Model FARMER ;D  ;D 

It's being held at the Dounby primary school in the West Mainland,about 3 miles away from me.I don't display at this one but will be there at some point for a look.

Will see you if you make it,Bill.

Well John..... Dounby rings a bell with me. One of my dad's best mates was Ronnie Philips from Skene and laterly Kinellar  near Inveruire and he left Dounby when he was aged 14 to go down with his dad and brother Harvey and step mum  to a larger farm in Keith before moving to a bigger one at Echt called Auld Echt. I asked my mum and she said Ronnie died aged 73 and that was 5 years ago so they would have left Orkney circa 1949. I asked my mum if she knew of the farm name and she thought it was Newbiggin and well she has confirmed it was since she is presently on the phone to Ronnie's wife Madge who also came from Orkney. She came from Birsay and her maiden name was Stranger. Her father Jock moved down to a croft called Glasgow Forrest after Ronnie and Madge married and Ronnie always referred to his father and law as "Glasgow Jock". We really do live in a small small world.

John I don't know if you knew of or can remember a demonstration of sewage sub soil injection on Orkney around about Jan 92 we were based in Kirkwall and I was using a John Deere 4250 K reg we used farm land just to the west of the town.  The big thing I can remember is the folk were so welcoming and friendly ( very expensive for the boss with a healthy bar bill.)  HAPPY DAYS!!!! :)  :)  :) :) . 

I was at that demonstration.It was on the farm of Weyland which at that time was a college farm but sadly this year most of the steading has been demolished & the site is going to be used for housing.

John I don't know if you knew of or can remember a demonstration of sewage sub soil injection on Orkney around about Jan 92 we were based in Kirkwall and I was using a John Deere 4250 K reg we used farm land just to the west of the town.  The big thing I can remember is the folk were so welcoming and friendly ( very expensive for the boss with a healthy bar bill.)  HAPPY DAYS!!!! :)  :)  :) :) . 

I seem to remember this being mentioned before.I asked Sandy Linklater about it & he knew them.Quite a few familys have left Orkney to go to bigger farms in Aberdeen.

Well John..... Dounby rings a bell with me. One of my dad's best mates was Ronnie Philips from Skene and laterly Kinellar  near Inveruire and he left Dounby when he was aged 14 to go down with his dad and brother Harvey and step mum  to a larger farm in Keith before moving to a bigger one at Echt called Auld Echt. I asked my mum and she said Ronnie died aged 73 and that was 5 years ago so they would have left Orkney circa 1949. I asked my mum if she knew of the farm name and she thought it was Newbiggin and well she has confirmed it was since she is presently on the phone to Ronnie's wife Madge who also came from Orkney. She came from Birsay and her maiden name was Stranger. Her father Jock moved down to a croft called Glasgow Forrest after Ronnie and Madge married and Ronnie always referred to his father and law as "Glasgow Jock". We really do live in a small small world.

Sandy "Link" I remember him well from Clinterty College at Kinellar or Blackburn"link" John  ( where both he and my dad worked) and also him at Roadside Farm of Skene were Ronnie Philips had a dairy farm.

I recall before "Link" left to get married he was tied to a lampost at Clintery "bollock naked" and covered in oil and grease and feathers. My dad was going to release him but he was told on no uncertain terms by a Welsh lectuerer called Pete Roberts ( another character)  if he did he would get the same treatment.

I have been checking B&B for a 4 day trip and also ferry for car and me to Kirkwall from 5pm on the Thursday leaving Aberdeen to 23.45 on the Monday leaving Kirkwall and ariving back in Aberdeen at 7am on the Tuesday. I drop you a PM or email about a certain 4 star B&B in Donby to see if you know about if it is as good as the reports say it is.

It's a small world John please don't tell any one if I did not hold a straight furrow, enjoyed every moment of that week. Hope we can meet up at some event or other.  Bill you will enjoy your visit to Orkney.    ;)      

I'm looking forward to it Kenny. Leave Aberdeen with car on boat at 5pm Thursday and get in at 11pm. Will have Friday for sightseeing and the show at the weekend. The boat doesn't sail until almost midnight on the Monday so I will have Monday for another piddy look around the island ;D  ;D

It's a small world John please don't tell any one if I did not hold a straight furrow, enjoyed every moment of that week. Hope we can meet up at some event or other.  Bill you will enjoy your visit to Orkney.    ;)      

You didn't do too badly I don't think but it was over 20 years ago!Hopefully meet up somewhere,sometime.

• 2 months later...

Hi John Back to an old topic I have just found a copy of the Orcadian that featured the sewage injection demo the paper is dated 27/01/94, the John Deere tractor was 135 hp at the time we thought it was one of the biggest tractors in daily use in S.W.Scotland, when I started to drive the tractor it had about 1400hrs and when it went away around 4500. (Someone got a very good clean machine). Hope to meet up with you sometime. 

Hi John Back to an old topic I have just found a copy of the Orcadian that featured the sewage injection demo the paper is dated 27/01/94, the John Deere tractor was 135 hp at the time we thought it was one of the biggest tractors in daily use in S.W.Scotland, when I started to drive the tractor it had about 1400hrs and when it went away around 4500. (Someone got a very good clean machine). Hope to meet up with you sometime. 

Nearly 20 years ago then.135hp is just a runaround now.I wonder if hp will increase as much in the next 20 years.Are you still at that job or something else?

No that contracting firm was taken over by the local rendering company and I am now driving for them collecting from shops all over Cumbria, I think tractor hp will come down and the small machine will get more common.

• 3 weeks later...

Well yesterday I spent a very enjoyable day at the Orcades model show meeting up with two FTF members Gordon Rendall from Shetland (gor136) and John Moar again. There were a few know exhibitors from Dingwall and Aberdeen including Robbie Holmes and Kenny Gunn and also David & Zoe MacKenzie all members of the Caithness Model Club. In addition I met some other new Orcadian exhibitors and quite a few would like to attend the 2014 Aberdeen show as spectators the only problem being they have to come down on the boat from the Friday but I did assure them there was plenty to do in Aberdeen and the shire ;D  ;D

Anyway on with the photos of all the non farming and lorry and construction displays which I will keep for a Model Famer article featuring the most northerly model show for 2013 in the United Kingdom.

P1060812_zps81037307.jpg

P1060811_zps8a1cad6d.jpg

P1060799_zps40be2cfe.jpg

P1060793_zps83245900.jpg

P1060792_zps36e207b2.jpg

Archived