What is the name of this tool and what was its use

I was having a tidy up in my late dad's garage at the weekend and I found this tool. I have no idea what you call it but being from a time served joiner family I have my own ideas but I was wondering if anyone else had. Seems too good to scrap and maybe just needs a little TLC and clean up.

P1040472_zps3fc2855d.jpg

P1040473_zps61ae795a.jpg

P1040474_zps13c7ed98.jpg

P1040475_zpsa327bc60.jpg

Looks like a tool for marking circles as David says. Maybe there should have been a point to the outer edge as well that snapped off?

I think its complete as it is. The point is halfway along in the photos, but obviously could be moved to any place along the groove, and it has a 'pointy side' (hope I'm not getting too technical for you here) to mark the wood to be cut, and a 'knob side' to hold and press it down with.

I seem to be doing quite well on this thread, considering that my DIY skills are even worse than those of the 'Reg Prescott' character in the old Kenny Everett shows. For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, I'll try to find one and post it here in a mo'.

There may be some measurement markings on it to set the scribe to mark out a circle of a certain diameter under the surface dirt. That's what I would say it is, an engineers circle scribe for metal sheet.

David, Niels and Tim thanks for the feedback. We are all agreed it is for marking circles and I'm tainted now to think it may be a metal workers tool since I have never seen or heard of one being used for joinery but I will ask my 80 year old uncle who was also a joiner when he returns from holiday.

There is in all seriousness Bill another possibility that this tool was used in the motor or aircraft industry for scribing lines onto a new sheet of metal or aluminium to make new panels,  the lower 'leg', which looks to be missing, slides under the new metal and hooks on the adjacent skin while the upper leg, which is what you have, scribes the new skin as it's pulled along. I could be totally wrong but it does compute.

Interesting idea Tim. As I say I will follow up with my uncle and well if he does not know I must take it to a chap called Jim Bruce who collects anything from needles to anchors and well there is a fair bet he may well have seen one and know what it is for.

Archived