Billet Aluminium Rims

I had a small Boxford CNC lathe for around 2 years and had used it for making small wheel centers and parts for model making but it was not idel. After around 2 years of searching and waiting I amanged to find a nice lathe in Chester but it was 3 phase electrics. So, I decided to take a chance, sell the boxford and buy the new lathe and convert it to single phase.

So after 3 - 4 months of work I ran a wheel rim this weekend on the new lathe.

At the moment it is just a disc type but It will get a hub and added details. Its just the first off. Hopefully I can get a few designs up on the website in the next few weeks

post-87-0-65662100-1373792437_thumb.jpg

Well after a few hours, a broken lathe cutter (with accompanying shouting and €25 I will never see again) and a couple of design tweaks.

i will get a video of the machine up. Its not easy to program, its not easy to setup and it was a lot of work to convert to single phase but finally a wheel is complete.

I will be adding new designs to the website for a Precision range of CNC turned wheels. Prices will be in or around the same as existing wheels. 

It is now possible to machine small qty's of custom rims if an existing tire is available.

The rim will fit onto the existing stub axle and the same screw can be used to attach the aluminium rim. The plastic hub from the model can then be re-fitted into the aluminium rim.

post-87-0-84454000-1373816738_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-51513400-1373816760_thumb.jpg

Archived