Removing caps from front axle (JD 4955 Schuco)

Niels

Question

I have decided to try and improve the John Deere 4955 model from Schuco on a few points. I will try and respray the wheels in the correctly yellow colour.

In order to do this I need to remove the front wheels. I assume there is a small screw holding each wheel on behind the cap? How can you safely remove these? I don't want to ruin them as another set will be difficult to find!

Does anyone have any pointers for a complete numpty like me? :-[

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

niels,what i do is cover the hubs with some tissue paper,doubled up, then,very gently prise them off with thin nose pliers,the tissue protects the hubs from the pliers marking the hubs,you dont need to apply hardly any pressure to get the hubs off,all the hubs i have took off come off very easily

It was easier than I thought Paul. The caps have 2 little pins which slot into the rim. All you have to do is take a small screwdriver and knock them out. Whole thing jumps off then.

Archived