40th Scottish Extravaganza 12 / 13 July 2014 Glamis Castle

BC

I have just filled in my enry for the 40th Scottish Extravaganza held in the lovely grounds of Glamis Castle. I will be taking my 1951 Farmall Cub. In addition I will be taking my 1930's Shanks of Arbroath "Firefly" lawnmower which is in original condition. I was speaking to the vice chairman Bill Orr at the Edzell vintage sale last year and he said given it was the 4oth show they thought they would put on a display of Shanks engines which were made in nearby Arbroath. Assuming he still wants it it will be a good excuse for me to get it started and give it a bit of clean up. 

P1050776_zps56bf0266.jpg

P1050775_zpsa470d79d.jpg

P1050774_zpsb872c8b4.jpg

P1050772_zps629a3dc6.jpg

P1050771_zps112a17e9.jpg

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I pulled out my old Shanks Firefly lawnmower and gave the points in the magneto a rub with emery board (for nails) and cleaned the spark plug. I check for spark and there was a cracking blue spark so I thought fine I'll leave until today before I try starting. I checked the drip feed oil and topped that up and added some petrol to the fuel tank. There was a leak at the push pull on off but I suspect the cork washer is just dried up. In addition there was a leak at a join to the copper petrol pipe leading to the carburettor. Anyway I can't recall having this mower running at Drumoak before and I moved here 27 years ago so the moment of truth....choke on, flood the carburettor and a little throttle and after a few cranks she burst into life so I was well pleased. The 56lb weight was a precaution just in case the clutch was slipping on a rather shiny / polished cement floor ;D  ;D

Now all I need to do is solder a piece of cover pipe to hopefully stop the leak and give the old girl a clean up. This mower is so so original I have no intentions of restoring it since I think it looks better in here working clothes.

The weather is not looking very good for the Sunday afternoon at Glamis but the BBC may have got it wrong, This is a show I have attended as a exhibitor from 1985 (and spectator before that) and I think I have only missed the show twice in that time...one when it was cancelled due to Foot and Month and a few years ago when it was a total wash out. I plan to be there for the 40th Anniversary show come hell or high water ;D  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648608

Oh the old girl ticking over at low revs 8)

I only go on the main day which is the Sunday James but I hope the weather for that day is better than the BBC are forecasting.

Yesterday I gave the lawnmower a spray / soak with WD 40 to brighten her up a bit. 

P1110151_zps81ff4aa4.jpg

P1110152_zpscad490a3.jpg

I tend to keep the tractor a bit back from the headboard to ensure best balance and weight ratio on the trailer but there is not going to be enough space for the lawnmower so I will have to knock together a larger frame work.

P1110156_zps1f13ef31.jpg

P1110155_zpse5d88f13.jpg

After all the rain they had later on on Saturday and the forecast for Sunday I decided not to load up. I just went down by car early yesterday and had a look around from 7am to 12.30 and then back up the road. I must say it is just not such a good show as it was 20 odd years ago with lessor and lessor older P/P tractors attending. In addition the traders attending are nothing special and I suppose that is just a sign of changing times since it is cheaper and easier for them to stay at home and sell via the internet.

Photos from yesterday.

No prizes on the day for Gordon Marr from Cuminestown.

IMG_3493_zpsf283a784.jpg

Gary Wink from Huntly won the Best Massey Ferguson with his 1971 MF 165 MP

IMG_3494_zps26830f51.jpg

IMG_3495_zps222cec92.jpg

this 1963 DB880 implematic wond 2md in "Best Overall Tractor" class.

IMG_3496_zpsecda7c12.jpg

IMG_3497_zps35bfe411.jpg

IMG_3498_zps162cf574.jpg

Good looking restoration but shame about the shade of grey used and the Bamford seat.

IMG_3505_zps98c6ebb6.jpg

Ex George Mutch Farmall H now owned by Derek Duncan from Edzell was 3rd in the "Best Overall" Class.

IMG_3506_zps0393df52.jpg

IMG_3507_zps50177917.jpg

IMG_3508_zps421a44dd.jpg

IMG_3509_zps363bef1b.jpg

IMG_3510_zps86e4ff81.jpg

Archived