Air Brush / Air Compressor

Massey Boy

Question

12 answers to this question

A good model shop would be your best bet, they should be able to recommend a good one, some get their air supply from those pressurised cans that those hand air horn things that people take to football matches and start races with, that should give sufficient pressure and you don't really need a compressor for small stuff like modelling, a compressor will be quite expensive I reckon. Have a look in the modelling shops, them that sell model rail, RC aircraft and car/truck stuff, they will have what you're looking for.

Have a search on here, I'm sure we've been down this route before and there should be plenty of advice in those threads

Quick advice from me - Spend as much as you can afford. Best airbrush makes are Iwata, Grex and Harder & Steenbeck. DO buy a compressor, cans are a nightmare to use and cost a fortune in the long run. Take a look at some other modelling sites such as Britmodeller, loads of threads on there on what to buy, how to use and solve issues.

Digest that lot and come back with specific questions. Currently your opening question is to broad to answer easily.

I'm about to buy one myself in the next two weeks.

After some research, mainly on YouTube and other sites, i'm getting an AS196 twin cylinder compressor HERE 

but will ask if i can have it without the airbrush as I will get a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra Gravity feed airbrush HERE 

As Peter has stated, the more you spend, the better the product will be, but from what I have found out, this compressor is better than the single cylinder compressors, (they will fill the tank faster and you can use them for longer periods of time without them needing to cool down) and the Chinese airbrushes that come in the kits with the compressors are rubbish.

I've been wanting to get into painting models with an airbrush for many years but always been put off by the thought of buying the wrong thing and wasting my money, after watching youtube clips and all the information thats available, I can't wait to get it and start on the models ive been putting off!

No problem Barry. Sparmax TC-610 is the one you want. Shop around, there are some good deals out there. Sparmax make Iwatas compressors so the Iwata equivalent of the 610 may be a better deal.

Just let me know if you have any queries.

Have fun!! P

Tim-  there isnt any good model shops that exsist near me now which is a shame, but am defently going to go for an air compressor as it does have other uses too. But thanks for your imput!

Peter- Youve set me off in the right direction now i shall do some investigations and come back to you if i have anymore questions, thank you!

Barry- Do post up what you buy in the end and tell me how you get on usuing them! Cheers for the links and the information

No problem Barry. Sparmax TC-610 is the one you want. Shop around, there are some good deals out there. Sparmax make Iwatas compressors so the Iwata equivalent of the 610 may be a better deal.

Just let me know if you have any queries.

Have fun!! P

Is the TC-610 a single cylinder or twin?

I'm going to have to read up on the Sparmax, I guess what ive read about others is not relative to these!!!!

The cheaper one that I was first going to buy (single cylinder) would only work for 30mins before you would have to leave it to cool down, thus why I was going to go for the twin cylinder, bigger machine not needing to work as hard etc.

Funny in all my searching, I didn't come across this make, since Peter has mentioned them I can see them all over the place on the internet  :D  I should have asked first!!!!!

I will keep you informed Massey Boy  :)

Is the TC-610 a single cylinder or twin?

I'm going to have to read up on the Sparmax, I guess what ive read about others is not relative to these!!!!

The cheaper one that I was first going to buy (single cylinder) would only work for 30mins before you would have to leave it to cool down, thus why I was going to go for the twin cylinder, bigger machine not needing to work as hard etc.

Funny in all my searching, I didn't come across this make, since Peter has mentioned them I can see them all over the place on the internet  :D  I should have asked first!!!!!

I will keep you informed Massey Boy  :)

Barry - the 610 is a single cylinder but because it has a reservoir tank it only runs when the air in the tank diminishes pasted a certain level. With the one you were looking at the compressors runs all the time and you get pulsing of air with only one cylinder. As it runs continuously it gets hot and so the recommendation is to run for only 30 minutes and then cool down. No such problems with the TC-610, completely different mechanics and operating model.

The 610 is probably the best selling compressor in this country, if not the world and Sparmax actually make compressors for nearly everyon!!

P

I have got an airbrush with a compressor and I think , without looking at it , it is a AS 186. Not 100% sure but an AS definitely. I got mine off of ebay and it was £55 brand new, from wickford in Essex. Mine is fantastic ,it came with 2 spray guns, but I only use the gun with the glass bottle. What is good about mine is that it has a tap on the compressor, after the filter, that you can regulate the pressure to the gun. When I first started I had it running flat out and got in a right old muddle. I have built a lot of scale downs with it, and if have been very happy with the outcome. Convo is the man you need to speak to really, there ain't no better sprayer than Peter, we all agree on that I am sure. What I will say though, when you get one don't start straight on you model, get some old paint and have a practice to set up your gun and to get the hang of thinning your paint. One thing that I had to get my head around was how much thinner to use, it was a lot I can tell you before you get it just right. The other rule is this, after each use, strip and clean everything with thinners, and make sure that the gun is thoroughly clean, take the end off and do it properly around the needle, filling the bottle with thinners and activating the gun with you finger over the end works well. There is loads of them for sale on ebay so have a browse and take your time,

ok ,,you lot have my attention ,,my advice is go out and buy a small proper compressor like a sealey 50 lt these are around £120.00 then buy a cheap mini gravity spray gun these are around £20.00 ,small air line £10.00 ,,now you lot are saying and thinking,,, errrrrrr ,,,don't want to spend that much ,,,,think about it ,,now you have some thing that is more versatile than just wafting paint on some model bits, it will do  ,sanding ,painting, blowing up your car tyres ,,repainting the wing on your car when your lass smashers it to bits or scrapes your bumper  ,,second hand value, you will get at least half you money back when you sick of it ,,

the benefits of even a cheap mini spray gun it will do all a air brush will do and more ,,paint ,prime ,water ,solvent ,enamel and thinners .

they are more versatile, clean easier ,replacement parts ,,,,DONT BLOG UP ,,, 

so the price of a air brush kit £100.00 ish against ,,a proper set up £150.00 ish !!!,,,,£50 ???

PGPPPP = proper ,gear ,prevents ,p---, poor , performance >:D >:D

with any thing it is knowledge and experience that will benefit you I have tried all kinds  of air brush /compressors  that my mates have bought ,used in the past ,, for what you guys want to do with your models after all the hard work you have put in to them modifying  ,,what do you think my mates went out and done .

see the artice I did a while back in model farmer ,,biggest tip of all just like chris has said ,,keep your gear clean after use !!

if you want help just ask I am only an email away or if you are ever passing pop in and have a chat I will be more than happy to help ,,hell I might even show you my tractor collection ;)

Archived