Any Value

A friend of mine recently inherited 25 acres and an old farm cottage. Came across these  today among other things when going through some presses-have they any value?even though think he will take my advice and keep them. One or two old implements hidden in the long grass which he plans to clean up and display.post-151-0-29124300-1439674008_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-81462900-1439674420_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-93682600-1439674536_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-80129700-1439674667_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-29393900-1439674846_thumb.jpg

Trouble is Martin that back in the day those machines were there to make the farmer a living and were used solely for that purpose and when they either wore them out or traded them back to replace with newer machines, that was progress and as such were dispensable and very little,  if any sentiment was put on them by anyone until much later when you may think back and remember that it 'was our first new tractor' or 'I learnt to drive on that' or 'I passed my tractor test driving it'. There were very few at the time that even considered that these machines would even still be around 60, 80 or even 100 years later, let alone be desired and brought back to life by enthusiastic persons. You may ask 'why then are there so many of these machines still around?', I would say it's because they actually did stand the test of time and after making the first owner a living, went on to the next to aid the second owner in continuing to make him a living as a second tractor and subsequently now has probably come back to the market through this owner retiring and that's where the nostalgia and sentiment comes in whereupon it enters a new dimension in restoration and preservation,

Yes you are right there tim, the investment in these machines would be huge, as would the work needed to pay for them in a time when hardship was far beyond not being able to afford the new iPhone model and the machines were there to do a job not sit and look pretty like many modern characterless tractors seem to do, therefore as you quite rightly said there was no room for sentiment when they needed replacing or upgrading as the value of the outgoing machine would be needed to help fund the next machine which would help feed the family.

Anyway. Sorry to go flying off topic, have you looked on eBay for the same literature for sale?

The Ferguson stuff is particularly valuable if they are early publications and are sought after anyway considering how much Ferguson tractors and machinery is still in existence. Test the market and put it on eBay with a reserve price. Do as martin says, look on eBay for the same stuff in 'ended items', this will give you an idea of what these things are making.

Martin, just going back to the trade-in value of an older tractor against a new one back in the day, in the 1970's the prices of tractors increased by as much as 75% from what they were in the 1960's so an older tractor, if in good condition, often got a trade-in price of more than double what the farmer paid for it when new, that doesn't happen now.

Archived