Claas 2007

Andy

the problem is that the new square baler with a bale size of 120cm wide 100cm high is no use in this country for transport on UK lorries.  :-\ :-\UK lorries are higher than the european decks.  They have designed it to have 4 bales high on a 1m high lorry body to give the max hight of 5m.  In the UK we have to have either 70cm high bale to give 5 high on a lorry or 90cm high bale to give 4 high on our lorries as most lorries are 1.4m high approx.

Saying that people who block farm and don't transport on the roads may buy one, but it does reduce the potential in this cut throat sector of the market.  It just proves my theory that British farmers have to follow concepts that european factories design for there own countries and allow UK to adapt! :)

the problem is that the new square baler with a bale size of 120cm wide 100cm high is no use in this country for transport on UK lorries.  :-\ :-\UK lorries are higher than the european decks.  They have designed it to have 4 bales high on a 1m high lorry body to give the max hight of 5m.  In the UK we have to have either 70cm high bale to give 5 high on a lorry or 90cm high bale to give 4 high on our lorries as most lorries are 1.4m high approx.

Saying that people who block farm and don't transport on the roads may buy one, but it does reduce the potential in this cut throat sector of the market.  It just proves my theory that British farmers have to follow concepts that european factories design for there own countries and allow UK to adapt! :)

But then why does the MF 190 baler sell so well ??? ???  i know of at least 5 down here

But then why does the MF 190 baler sell so well ??? ???  i know of at least 5 down here

The MF 190 is 118x127cm  this will give approx a bale height, rounded off at 120cm high. When stacked 3 high and add a trailer of 1.4m, it will give you the 5m height. 

The reason for the popularity of the 190 is because of transport as you have less bales to load and have maximum capacity for haulage.  Also straw burning factories only accept 120 high bales. If a large contract is arranged with a farmer for burning bales they will accept a % of 90 high bales as they struggle to get the quantity they require.

I know that at least 3 of the 190 balers all there straw goes to livestock in other counties as they worked behind us this year. I would definatly say there is a market for the larger claas baler and theres no shortage of tractors with hp to run then (with my boss being one) i would say they'd sell some at least down here

I know that at least 3 of the 190 balers all there straw goes to livestock in other counties as they worked behind us this year. I would definatly say there is a market for the larger claas baler and theres no shortage of tractors with hp to run then (with my boss being one) i would say they'd sell some at least down here

Yes 190 balers make 120cm bale height so it will fill a trailer, but a Claas bale of 100cm will only allow 3 high on a UK lorry, leaving a space of 60cm which cannot be filled. This would mean they would be nearly 3 ton under weight. :-\ I understand what you are saying and agree a few will be sold due the output they claim but with ref. to straw traders they did not like light loads.  I was carrying out demo's this year to straw contractors and every trader that hauls their crop long distances had the same argument, if a lorry is light due to the bales not filling the trailer to its full height and width and the bales are under a certain weight they are not interested.  Straw on lorries is normally sold by the ton so to prevent contractors producing light bales. If you can get more crop on a lorry the margins against transport cost are higher.  This is why 70 cm 90cm and 120cm high bales are popular in the UK because it fills a lorry of 1.4m high in the UK (max transport height is 5m)

Stacking the Claas on there side would get the height but not the width as you will still be 3 ton short.

I'm only saying what I found as I demo'ed to over 40 contractors and I was sick of hearing from them how critical the weight a size was, fortunatly we past the test (for most of them! :D, can't please everyone)

Ah i understand now gromittager sorry for being so slow :D  That makes alot of sense with alot of bales nowadays clocking up many miles on the road so the 190 bales are cheaper all round and can be run on smaller machines from what i've heard about the claas. Thanks grom making interesting reading