Combine time.

richie

Just a couple of photos of my day farming in West Australia last year. Igot a new programme to reduce photo size thats why they are a bit late. The combine is a 9680 with 40ft header, the tractor I'am not too sure he said it was there smallest and was only 230 hp, With a 16 ton chaser bin.

post-59-132638560175_thumb.jpg

post-59-132638560195_thumb.jpg

When I asked him he said that it was 40ft, The last one he had had a 36 on and when this one turned up he thought it was the same so he'd got the tape out and checked because he had ordered a 40 ft. He said he will be changing in a couple of years and he said they should have a 42ft by then. Yeh I see what you mean by it's to one side, had'nt noticed that before Nigel.

do you have any close ups of the straw choper on the back of the combine  doesnt look like a standard back end

thx

Nick

I'll have a look at the other ones for you mx driver to see if theres any of the straw chopper. Does'nt most of the Australias and Americans combines have these short back ends cause they dont have straw walkers just the choppers????.

Interesting that there seems to be more header on the offside of the machine than nearside and that it doesn't look much wider than a 30'. :)

Gleaners were the same, very short wheelbase and a short unloading auger so the headers were offset to make up for this. (30ft MacDon draper)

Lovely photo's, beautiful golden crop and blue skies - my memory of Colorado.

When I asked him he said that it was 40ft, The last one he had had a 36 on and when this one turned up he thought it was the same so he'd got the tape out and checked because he had ordered a 40 ft. He said he will be changing in a couple of years and he said they should have a 42ft by then. Yeh I see what you mean by it's to one side, had'nt noticed that before Nigel.

I'll have a look at the other ones for you mx driver to see if theres any of the straw chopper. Does'nt most of the Australias and Americans combines have these short back ends cause they dont have straw walkers just the choppers????.

Praps they wouldn't need such a big header if the crop rows were a bit closer together. Haven't seen rows that far apart since the days of the Massey Harris drills. Crop looks pretty thin too, the sort you see on the South Downs, ie about 30cwt to the acre. (Old gits measurements in imperial units). You could ride a motor bike up one of those rows without damaging the plants. ;):D;D ;D ;D ;D

I think the row spacings have something to do with the soils moisture content among other things Womble, being that the moisture is sparce if they over populate the ground the moisture doesn't go as far. I know that much but there is probably other reasons for it aswell???

That must be at the PTO luke as a in UK engine measurements theyre 275hp ???

Your correct, PTO (HP): 235 - John Deere 8420, but I don't remember seeing or hearing it was 275 HP engine wise! A John Deere 8520 is 255 HP engine wise! So i'm pretty sure the 8420 isn't 275 horse. I could be wrong, i'm going by figures not actual knowledge. If you find different let me know!

Im pretty sure there around that hp as the JD 8520 is 295hp and 325hp max hp this was what were quoted by local JD dealer to compare with the 926 a few seasons ago, the 926 still out pulled even being 15hp less :D :D :D :D

I'll try and find my brochure look and put it up on here  ;)