Our new MF 30 seed drill

nashmach

;D

Well finally after a few months looking for one and getting it transported home - this baby was finally in our yard for me to have a play with at the weekend - first MF on the farm since the last 780 Special was bought in the early 70's :D. Some details - well she is one of the last of this model as noted by the decals - grain and fertilizer boxes but fertilizer was hardly ever put in her. She has hoe coulters which are practicaly identical to Suffolks apart from being spring loaded and a different tip (similar to a Triple K tip ;)). She has 18 rows 2.4m wide and is narrow spacing - also she has the after harrow and the MF tramlining and row crop wheels (this is unusual as most have little 750-16 wheels on the front). Track eradicators also ;).

Few adjustments to be done such as moving over the tramlining kit one row so we don't have to swap wheel dishes on the 3600 when spraying and move or take off the eradiactors as they don't suit our tractors and also a few pipes and boots have to be changed (not looking forward to putting new pipes in the boots :(;).

Must get her out then and figure out driving positions etc.

Anyways enough of my talk some pictures ;)

post-105-132638567473_thumb.jpg

Nice one Colm... she looks to be in good order as well mate... I've been studying the pic but I can't spot the mistake... go on then... spill the beans..

Or.. more... drill the beans with that  ::) .... I'll get my coat  :-[

That is a really late model looking at the decals mate... Can we see her in the field operating as well please  ;D

Nice one Colm... she looks to be in good order as well mate... I've been studying the pic but I can't spot the mistake... go on then... spill the beans..

Or.. more... drill the beans with that  ::) .... I'll get my coat  :-[

That is a really late model looking at the decals mate... Can we see her in the field operating as well please  ;D

Look closely at the tramlining wheel Mark  ;D

Pics if I'm at home when we are sowing - else you may get on the boat and come over and give Dad a hand - sorry you'll probably have to drive a Ford but then the sight of my neighbour's 168 should be enough to keep you alive  :D

Ummm... I can see the tramlining wheel... but I can't see what's wrong with it Colm... come on John... you MUST know...

I see one broken wheel eradicator... umm.. come on I'm intreagued now to kow what it is...

And me... drive a ford... I'd rather have a french kiss with Barry Stunt  :o

Come on Colm, there's no way anyone could notice the mistake from those pictures :(

Ah you can see it all the same though James - the tramlining wheel should be marked "T" where the indent is so that the slides are activated - on ours its 4 as can be seen in the photo  :D Typical MF  ::)

Glad you got it Colm.

I can't spot the mistake either..... :)

Would'nt mind a closeup of those coulters though.

Will do John - they are really only like Suffolks with spring protection and a different tip - will get a pic during the weekend

no jack, good tools mf 30 drills last for years ;D

No jack but from what I heard they are a bit of hit and miss job - hopefully it will last another good while  ;D

Special thnaks must go to Mark (Marky Ferguson) and John (jdc) for all their help with advice and bits and pieces on this - all very much appreciated lads  :-*

Ooooo the hours spent grinding off the pins... knocking out and re welding new pins in those... Horrible job.... sooooooo monotonous (is that how you spell it)

Anyway...

I don;t want to appear to be a snitch... HOWEVER...

NUMPTY FOR COLM

For not understanding his own drills tramlining kit  ;D

Ooooo the hours spent grinding off the pins... knocking out and re welding new pins in those... Horrible job.... sooooooo monotonous (is that how you spell it)

Anyway...

I don;t want to appear to be a snitch... HOWEVER...

NUMPTY FOR COLM

For not understanding his own drills tramlining kit  ;D

What pins are you on about Mark  ??? ??? ???

Numpty is for James f as he convinced me I was right  >:(

On the casting on the front Colm.. where they mount to the main frame.... they wear and get tooooooo much sideways movement in them... so you buy new pins for the castings from memory... Or did you replace the castings... no... I think it was just the pins (they were deliberately softer than the casting so it was new pins only)... easy enough to do... but bloody boring all the same... especially on a big drill... to many of them  ::)

Ah... it's all flooding back to me now... on those coulters they have two wooden dowels to hold the wearing foot on... if my memory serves me correctly... DO they still have them Colm...

;D

On the casting on the front Colm.. where they mount to the main frame.... they wear and get tooooooo much sideways movement in them... so you buy new pins for the castings from memory... Or did you replace the castings... no... I think it was just the pins (they were deliberately softer than the casting so it was new pins only)... easy enough to do... but bloody boring all the same... especially on a big drill... to many of them  ::)

Ah... it's all flooding back to me now... on those coulters they have two wooden dowels to hold the wearing foot on... if my memory serves me correctly... DO they still have them Colm...

;D

Think there is only one bolt holding them on Mark - you are thinking of the Suffolk coulter Mark I reckon  ;)

Ah ha... well what I meant was... the pins pivot the casting that the single bolt goes through to mount the coulter arm assembly to the frame...

As for the wooden dowels... they mounted the wear part to the coulter body.... They may not be possible to see without a clean up as they kind of get covered up in all the mud...  ???:-\

Realised after that there was no mistake it was just the way we understood it to work wasn't right ::).

Anyway some pictures of the coulters for John ;)

Cheers Colm - had us looking for a non-existant mistake. For once I'm inclined to agree with marky on the numpty front  :D

I think it was only the Suffolk coulters that were held on with wooden dowels... when they rotted away the rust was sufficient to hold them.

The coulter arm pivots tended to wear more on the disc drills because of the side thrust whereas on suffolks and tines it's a straight drag.  :)

What pins are you on about Mark  ??? ??? ???

Numpty is for James f as he convinced me I was right  >:(

You're definitely getting a numpty now for that. Shame on you trying to put the blame on me. You told me that the slides were down and the pointer was pointing to the wrong place. Of course if you had actually read any of the literature you have you would realise that the slides go in and out every time you lift the drill!! >:( It was me who pointed out how they work you pillock! Just off to get you that numpty now......