MODEL OF THE MOMENT... Brian Norman's Massey Ferguson 1200 ~ And the "Real Deal"

Now then... I have to say this is probably one of my most favourite models in my collection.. Why... well... two reasons really..

1. The 1200 was... no IS... a real beast of a machine... a machine WELL ahead of it's time... at the time of release...

2. It's such a fantastic model... It's just so well detailed it has to be seen to be believed  :o

So... first up... lets have a look at the model... here's a few pics to "feast your eyes upon"  ;D

post-292-132638596959_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1200 was one of the first Masseys to have pivot steer... an American idea I believe  :-\

Check out the steering rams... you have to remind yourself you are looking at a 1:32 model here.... and not a high precision 1:16 or bigger  :o

post-292-132638596992_thumb.jpg

Next up... the engine covers... I think these were fitted to the changing noise regulations of the time... This lady was new in 72 when the noise regualtions were changing rapidly... Massey were giving away ear defenders to 100 series drivers to comply with new legislation of the time

post-292-132638597005_thumb.jpg

Final Model pic before we look at the "real deal"... the steps... once again.. such great detail...

Mr Brian Norman I take my hat off to you... what a SUPERB model indeed.... It's not cheap at ?120 a go... but I understand Brian is only making 1000 pieces and that's it... Mine is number 700 and something.. and it's a couple of years old as well... so if you want one... get it sorted before it's too late  ;)

Bill Richardson told me he's taking the last 100 from Brian as well... so things must be getting tight...

post-292-132638597023_thumb.jpg

Well that's the model done... lets take a look at the real deal...

I believe the 1200 was launched aroundf 1972... as a new concept in farming... remember... at the time all the "larger farmer" had on offer from Massey Ferguson was the French built 1080 or American built 1100... both of which were large conventional tractors...

The following pics are from the early release brochure for the 1200... She looks quite an imposing sight here

post-292-132638597026_thumb.jpg

Note the earlier style decal  ;)

The 1200 sports the gutsy Perkins A6.354 engine... she pushed out 110hp from the 5.8ltr direct injection diesel...

Look at her here... what a great PR pic... pulling a 5 furrow plough in some very muddy conditions... (the plough is on the other page)

post-292-132638597028_thumb.jpg

She had the standard Ferguson linkage system at the rear... infact you may be interested to know she ran a normal backend of a 185 under that rear skirting... powered by universal joints through the pivot area... they were prone to a few problems on the backend... similar to the 185 really... mostly oil leaks really..

She had a lift capacity of 3.4 tonnes at the link ends.. and with an optional combinerd pump (combined the Multi-power pump with the life pump)... she could peak at over 72ltrs per minute... thats good for the early 70's I reckon  :o

Take a look at this great cut-away drawing  ;D

post-292-132638597033_thumb.jpg

Now... I am going to move on to the 1250... in the late 70's Massey decided to "re-vamp" the 1200... give it a slightly uprated engine (pretty much a jucied up pump)... giving another 2hp.. and fitted an upgraded linkage system to the rear... I think it was lift assistor rams.. but I'll need to check that... I do know the 1250's lift capacity had risend from the 3.4t of the 1200 to a new maximum of 4.375t - this was to keep up with the bigger implements this type of tractor was proving more than capable of lugging.  Not many of these re-badged 1250's were sold... sadly  :'(

The 1200 and 1250 were a little top heavy... they had a high centre of gravity and proved to be a handful on hills... Their unique design did lend themselves well to forestry work... and like Jasons own model... many of them found themselves being adapted with the addition of a fith wheel coupling..

Hers it the 1250 first release brochure  ;)

post-292-132638597036_thumb.jpg

Massey had a problem in the 70's though... when they found out what this lady was capable of... they soon found they needed to "beef up" their current implement range... they even produced a brochure specifically for the 1200 tractor... To the best of my knowledge I have never seen another tractor get such treatment in any Massey Literature  :-\

post-292-132638597047_thumb.jpg

FINALLY... I'll leave you with this pic from the last Massey 1200 brochure to be produced... I don't think our American cousins got the 1200... you guys had the larger 1500... which became the 1505 (and we were lucky enough to have that one too)... The 1500 had outgrown Perkins largest engine at the time and so Catapillar stepped in with their amazing 3208 V8 engine... America also had the 1800... later becoming the 1805... a real MONSTER of an Artic. - they ran the same CAT engine... pushing well over 210hp... Most of these American spec tractors had no lifting equipment... just a simple drawbar for pure muscular lugging power  :o

For those of you that havn't nodded off during my post.. I thank you for looking and I hope you have enjoyed the read...

Look at her over 5 tonnes of beauty  :-*:-* :-*:-*

Come on Jason.... post us a pic of your real one please  ;)

post-292-132638597054_thumb.jpg

You da man mf man , very intresting read luv the model ,I have only seen one 1200 in the flesh back in 73-74 pulling a three furrow rev but he was in 18 inches deep ,Was told the other day there is one still in this area so i will try to find out more  ;D

Thank you for an informative read and pics  :)

steve