REQ: Basics of Resin Modell Building

Richard de Florennes

Question

Hello, I am planning to make some row crop equipment on my own as some needed items are not available on the market or the current price is beyond my budget (e. g. certain scratch-built beet harvesters ;-))

My question now is: I understand how to make a copy of a existing part, but how can I create a exact and detailed form for putting the liquid resin in without any existing original example; especially parts which are multi-dimesional e .g. for making blades of a row cultivator?

In this case I might have a self made drawing or a picture but how to make a form of these?

And which type of glue (?) to use for connecting these items?

Sorry, these questions might sound ridiculous to some, but I am still in the beginnings as I just can not wait until Britains, Siku or Uh MIGHT finally make nice row-crop equipment in a few years.

5 answers to this question

Hello, I am planning to make some row crop equipment on my own as some needed items are not available on the market or the current price is beyond my budget (e. g. certain scratch-built beet harvesters ;-))

My question now is: I understand how to make a copy of a existing part, but how can I create a exact and detailed form for putting the liquid resin in without any existing original example; especially parts which are multi-dimesional e .g. for making blades of a row cultivator?

In this case I might have a self made drawing or a picture but how to make a form of these?

And which type of glue (?) to use for connecting these items?

Sorry, these questions might sound ridiculous to some, but I am still in the beginnings as I just can not wait until Britains, Siku or Uh MIGHT finally make nice row-crop equipment in a few years.

That's the idea of resin casting....i.e. you have an original and you want to make multiple copies, so make mould around the original parts and fill them with resin. So if you want to just make a one-off, just stick to plastic or brass, but mainly plastic. ;)

I'd love to know how to get into resin casting, any tips would be great

i'd love to know how to get back into 34 in waist jeans  :-\

the resin tips would be great , where to buy from , approx cost to get started ,etc

I got started in casting 9 years ago now and always find new and interesting challenges. I started out with the paint on latex molding stuff for about 1 week and realized it was way too time consuming. I then ordered my first 1 gal bucket of silicone rtv. I also ordered a 2 gal kit of polyurethane resin. I found myself molding all sorts of things that I could use more of on my display table. What a great way of learning even tho it was probably the more costly way to go.

The main thought to remember is in gravity casting the resin goes down but the air has to come up. I had lots of problems with trapped air bubbles but you soon learn how to place an object and how to make vent holes etc to eliminate problems. Even filling in gaps with a thin piece of styrene to allow the mold to not touch allows air to escape. Later it just gets cleaned up on the parts.

I have had good luck with the various brands I have tried. Each product has its use too. Some resins are thin like water, some are like syrop.

I have yet to try clear resin on my own projects but it is a bit of fun to work with depending on the brand and type.

Some brands website links and help tutorials are : (products I have tried)

www.alumilite.com (resin)

www.polytek.com (easyflo 60 resin)

www.smooth-on.com (smoothcast 300 resin -cures white) (Mold Max 30 silicone rtv)

www.silicones-inc.com (GI-1000 rtv)

www.synair.com (mark 2 resin and rtv)

Rhodia - V-1065 rtv and (ViSil 2025 - discontinued in canada but was superb)

I have yet to get into metal casting into rtv or otherwise yet but there are some people who do it.

Kent, Manitoba, Canada