Another Farm Tragedy.

Deere-est

Here's another,

lad I work with lost his best mate last week. He was driving a Terra-Gator tanker when the bank next to the lagoon gave way and over and in she went.

Sad thing is, the poor lad was 23 and he didn't drown - he suffocated in the cab of the machine. His Dad has now given up farming pending the sale of their farm and home. Poor poor family that's all I can say.

Here's another,

lad I work with lost his best mate last week. He was driving a Terra-Gator tanker when the bank next to the lagoon gave way and over and in she went.

Sad thing is, the poor lad was 23 and he didn't drown - he suffocated in the cab of the machine. His Dad has now given up farming pending the sale of their farm and gome. Poor poor family that's all I can say.

Poor family.  :(

I have to say that the electricity boards really do need to take a closer look at power lines in fields more often. I have had numerous close ones whilst using the Lexion in the past 5 years, in one case not even being able to get under them with the tank closed up as they were level with the cab roof, the only way to cut the barley was the same way as the lines ran in those places, baler man wasn't too impressed but there was no way i was going any nearer to them. Several times i have stopped when I have had a problem and had to move because looking above I could see I was too near wires. I guess at times I was over cautious but you hear of too many fatalities these days involving them not to in my opinion

the thing to remember about power and bt lines that cross the field is they were designed and put up many years ago when kit was smaller, farmers would have been paid a fee and a way leave issued to the company concerned to have them put there and are then oblidged to keep crops clear ect,  most famrs /or fields change hands over the years and most newer farmers dont know about it, so they plant right up to, and arround the poles making small islands of them, causing problems for them selfs later on ,the farmer that pulls the cbales down wil be charged for the damage, and can also be asked to foot the bill if they insist the stuff is moved, especially if they are the origonal ones that accepted payment, not to many people know about that 

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard more on the first story of the lad electrocuted in his combine. It is only word of mouth but this is how it goes.

The unloading auger on the combine he was driving packed up and so he was told to leave it in the unloading position. Electricity in the surrounding area had been blinking all day due to the auger arcing on the above electricity wire. Next thing to happen was a problem with the header so he got out of the cab and jumped to the ground as we all do to investigate the problem. Unbeknown to him he had stopped beneath a wire, thus arcing with the auger. In a unfortunate twist of fate, smelling burning he went to get the fire extinguisher .. The rest as they say is a very sad history. Grim to say the least poor fellow.

I have heard more on the first story of the lad electrocuted in his combine. It is only word of mouth but this is how it goes.

The unloading auger on the combine he was driving packed up and so he was told to leave it in the unloading position. Electricity in the surrounding area had been blinking all day due to the auger arcing on the above electricity wire. Next thing to happen was a problem with the header so he got out of the cab and jumped to the ground as we all do to investigate the problem. Unbeknown to him he had stopped beneath a wire, thus arcing with the auger. In a unfortunate twist of fate, smelling burning he went to get the fire extinguisher .. The rest as they say is a very sad history. Grim to say the least poor fellow.

Wow that is realy sad mate, but is pretty easy to do all the same,

• 4 months later...

very sad indeed for all concerned.I`m afraid though the very nature of our job means that it is a bit dangerous................I`ve had several near misses for which I thank my lucky stars I`m still alive..............wearing through my nine lives , I reckon I`m on about my seventh now so  my luck can`t hold out forever..............

Dodging psychopathic suckler cows, escaping cattle at the marts, getting squashed by a bull in a barrier a VERY bad car wreck, tractor taking off down a hill and going through a gate and dyke(the stone wall kind)  the stones in real life do look like the films show when everything happens in slow motion when you see vehicles go through walls etc, I saw the dyke explode in front of me, another 2 VERY close calls with tractors, flying 20 yards off a motorbike and landing semi conscious right at the edge of the river .....12 feet of water in it......just a few of my  experiences.I`m sure you`ve all got some.

these only go to show how careless for want of a better word we are in general at work.................. sad but true guys, we all take risks .

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/search/display.var.1603766.0.man_electrocuted_in_combine_harvester_accident.php

Not nice at all. Be carefull in those combines, foragers, sprayers etc.

Infact, just be careful!!

just read this.

This was  a good friend of mines cousin. It was his first summer away from home working on the home farm.

Kinda brings it all home...................

I had an email NFU bulletin earlier and amongst the content was a paragraph concerning farm accidents. In 2007 there were 47 reported farm accidents, which were all said to be 'avoidable'. I always thought that ALL farm accidents were avoidable. I know that certain circumstances will make some appear un-avoidable but everyone should take a step back before performing a task and assess the potential risks, you have a lifetime to live but you are dead a lot longer!  In this article it says that there are going to be Country-wide seminars held by the HSE to bring further awareness to the farming community.