hydraulic rams

toyboy

can anyone describe roughly how hydraulic rams work? i can understand how vertically operating rams with a load above them would work, ie oil forced into ram wich in turn makes it open and then the weight above it would make it retract but how do horizontal mounted rams work? is it the hydralic pump on the tractor that would draw the oil out of the ram thus creating a vacum that would pull the ram shut or am i way up the wrong track altogether, excuse me but i aint mechanically minded as this is not my line of work

What you have described there is whats known as a single acting ram having only one hose amd relying on the weight of the arm or trailer buck to close it. Double acting rams have two hoses on them so you have oil on either side of the piston as you pump oil in one side the ram will extend pushing the oil out of the other side back down the hose and into the tractor, the same applies when you want to close it oil being pumped in the other side of the piston and out the other hose back into the tractor

so basically all horizontal rams would be double acting or am i still right in thinking that the use of vacum would still be enough to close a ram

all horizontal rams, as you say would need to be double acting. No hydraulic system can create a "vacuum" to pull rams back. You may also understand that a double-acting ram will close much quicker than it opens as the area of the ram rod diameter is reducing the area for the oil to push on so for the same rate of oil flow the ram rod (piston)will retract quicker by a large percentage,similarly the retracting ram will have the same amount of reduced "power" as the pressure of the oil has that much less area to act upon. A good example of this is the "Z" bar linkage on loading shovel buckets: the "crowd" ram pushes out to close the bucket giving more power/"tearout" and then the bucket tips quicker as the ram closes as there is less oil required to return the ram shut.

Interesting that about the Z-bar linkage Nigel, i hadn't actually thought about that before. On the subject of horizontal rams, it is possible to get a single-acting ram with an in-built return spring so as not to need a double-acting set-up, or use an external spring to push back in the ram. This kind of system is common on trailer brake systems, especially home made ones :D

Interesting that about the Z-bar linkage Nigel, i hadn't actually thought about that before. On the subject of horizontal rams, it is possible to get a single-acting ram with an in-built return spring so as not to need a double-acting set-up, or use an external spring to push back in the ram. This kind of system is common on trailer brake systems, especially home made ones :D

hydraulic gates on the back of tankers have one pipe and have a spring to retract it ;)