Traditional Bulidings

jdc

Im actually doing up old farm buildings like this with my father at the moment, posted pictures up here somewhere before. its very interesting work really especially looking at how they were built and taking into account the fact that they are still virtually 100% structuraly sound, alot to be said for breadable building. sadly though alot of the sheds etc in our yard will be knocked to make way for "progress" :'(

would they like to sell them to me  ;D ;D id convert the lot they would make nice barn conversions

Conversions are way over the top up here and now you'd hardly get planning permission for one. Also the road is not suitable for more traffic as the farm next door is now about 12 houses... :)

Lovely looking barns John, are they old estate buildings?

Not really Jase, just typical of this area - I think every farm tried to be different.  :)

Im actually doing up old farm buildings like this with my father at the moment, posted pictures up here somewhere before. its very interesting work really especially looking at how they were built and taking into account the fact that they are still virtually 100% structuraly sound, alot to be said for breadable building. sadly though alot of the sheds etc in our yard will be knocked to make way for "progress" :'(

They are sound and the roof timbers are something else...but the landlord is letting them go a bit.....pointing, gutters missing slates etc.  :(

thats a shame, the roof timbers too in our place are unbelievably good, and there was no such thing as damp proffing in them days. when we stripped all the plaster from the walls (plaster was only put on approx 30 years ago) we found where there were old doors, windows and fire places etc. all the lintels were timber and they are virtually immaculate. however the walls and such are starting to get a bit damp now in places but thats mainly due to the fact of the work thats going on i.e lowering of the floor, taking roof off etc. the original slates were replaced years ago with asbestos ones, but weve them all off now too. next step is to pour a ring beam around the top of to wall to raise it by a foot and a half to accomodate an upstairs. if the landlord there thought about it he could make a really great job of them turning them into cottages or whatever, its fairly straight forward work like