how do you get your model tractors dirty like the real ones

mc cormick

Question

8 answers to this question

the wat that i do mine are to get yourself a bucket of nice fine soil, ideally the stuff from the top of a rotovator or power harrow. then using a kitchen sieve i put the clay through it and collect the dust in an other pot/bucket. then you can eiter wet the model or give it i light spray of clear lacquer, then while it still wet, sprinkle the dust over the model and allow it all to dry.

if you are using water to wet it, then an old detergent or cleaning bottle with the spray nozzle on it works a treat if covering a larger area like a laneway or something.

hope this helps mate.

the wat that i do mine are to get yourself a bucket of nice fine soil, ideally the stuff from the top of a rotovator or power harrow. then using a kitchen sieve i put the clay through it and collect the dust in an other pot/bucket. then you can eiter wet the model or give it i light spray of clear lacquer, then while it still wet, sprinkle the dust over the model and allow it all to dry.

if you are using water to wet it, then an old detergent or cleaning bottle with the spray nozzle on it works a treat if covering a larger area like a laneway or something.

hope this helps mate.

Sounds great Smish... any chance of doing us a 'how to' topic with some pics please ???

Pastel colours from your local art shop. Direct application use a dry brush teecnique brush you can also sand them for dust .You can mix shades make rust runs n so on. Silver paint mixed with matt black n thin with a small amount of white spirit looks good on engines.

P1010005.jpg

If this is this the sort of effect you are after you can do it using acrylic craft paint. I washed the model (UH Power Major) carefully with a liquid detergent to remove any mould release agent. Then I painted the tyres including the side walls with a mix of dark brown and cream. I then ran the wheels over a previously dampened kitchen towel to remove the paint  from the tread  surfaces, The rest was lightly brushed with a dry brush to represent mud on the foot controls and footplate. Do all of these operations a little at a time, as it’s easier to add a bit more than take away.

The effects using this method are permanent.

Peter