Lilliput Vale Heritage Park

Leakeyvale

This is the second draft of Lilliput Vale. views from two sides.  No, that is not a trench but where the two modules meet. 

The timbered barn is gorgeous and was the SuperQuick card kit.  Very detailed instructions and superb finish.  This is the first kit building I have put my hand to since childhood and I must get some more as I enjoyed putting it together and "finishing" it.  I may weather it a bit but not yet!

It has changed a little since these pictures were taken and probably will undergo a few upheavals.  One Silver Star coach is trialling the route

post-1227-13263888407_thumb.jpg

post-1227-132638884086_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blooooody hell!! That looks great, the barn could almost double as an old coaching inn too. This is going to be a hive of activity before long, what a start. This smaller scale, as with Richie's 1:87 layout has some real appeal. :)

Those kits are lovely.  The chap who sold it to me came from Birmingham way and said he was not too sure about this barn as he had never seen a real one like that.  I certainly have around this area and in Kent.  There is a similar, but derelict, structure 200 yards up the road from me. It is beyond repair and  I would not set foot anywhere close although I do go into the yard once a year to get barley straw for the tortoise's winter accommodation but walk the long way around the Grain drier (I do have permission to take the straw)

As I understand the owner cannot demolish it because there are Barn Owls nesting in it year on year.  He has put up owl boxes but they prefer the barn.

Sue this is just wonderful... love it almost as much as Leakeyvale. With my limited space I am sorely tempted to downscale Holly Farm after Toytrac :-\

I did some maths and this 6 x 2 layout would be something like 11 x 3 in 1:32.  (No doubt some cleverclogs will tell me I am wrong).

I must admit to being hooked on the 1:76 scale but it is awfully fiddly to set up.  I have now started to mount all the animals on clear plastic top-dressed with "grass" to assist in keeping them upright and double-sided sticky tape to hold them on the layout (not done yet).  It works on the fibre grass matting I am using and will peel off with the help of long fingernails. 

Ordered the kits of Manor Farm House with cottage and farm buildings from Metcalfe models to go with the stone barn.  Very easy to build but not quite as detailed as Superquick. 

I did some maths and this 6 x 2 layout would be something like 11 x 3 in 1:32.  (No doubt some cleverclogs will tell me I am wrong).

I must admit to being hooked on the 1:76 scale but it is awfully fiddly to set up.  I have now started to mount all the animals on clear plastic top-dressed with "grass" to assist in keeping them upright and double-sided sticky tape to hold them on the layout (not done yet).  It works on the fibre grass matting I am using and will peel off with the help of long fingernails. 

Ordered the kits of Manor Farm House with cottage and farm buildings from Metcalfe models to go with the stone barn.  Very easy to build but not quite as detailed as Superquick. 

That's another plus with this scale then - good availability of buildings in kit form - something us 1/32 scalers struggle to find :-\

Yes, Mandy, another plus. 

I have been unable to find 1:32 building kits. But 1:76 (or 1:72 which is neither here nor there) are easy to source as it is OO railway gauge.  1:32 is slot car gauge 1 and the only buildings I have found are Grandstands in plastic!

Hornby do some fantastic extras now like phone boxes, haulage loads, skips, alsorts.

Character, Sue. Model making such as our hobby truelly follows the appeal of it's real life counterpart. Take a UH Fendt for example. Stunning model looks and detail wise.

Now take a Britains original Ford 6600, character.

The layouts we all choose to depict real farmyards of their time follow in the same way. Yours, I hope like Leveret's are full of character and charm. :)

Hornby do some fantastic extras now like phone boxes, haulage loads, skips, alsorts.

The walls are Hornby Skaledale and there certainly are plenty of accessories and not just Hornby.  I found hand built cement mixers and such at a railway modellers exhibition.  Not cheap though at around £25-30 a time.  Come to think of it I think they were nearer £40.  (I resisted the temptation).

Still moving the walls about as I need to ensure I can add more half-size modules to fit all sides of the square one as our exhibition cases are 39 inches wide and 25 deep.

• 3 weeks later...

Sue!! It's fantastic!! What a stunning kit that turned out to be. Your putting together a wonderful layout, will it be at Toytrac next year? Pleeeease?! :)

I found another wall section, if I remember to take it to Toytrac with me it'll have your name on it. ;)

Sue!! It's fantastic!! What a stunning kit that turned out to be. Your putting together a wonderful layout, will it be at Toytrac next year? Pleeeease?! :)

I found another wall section, if I remember to take it to Toytrac with me it'll have your name on it. ;)

Yes all being well,  and Yes Please.  Those walls are just the ticket for a walled garden and because there is a tiny slot at the end I managed to put in a gate.  None of this is fixed as I am still playing.

I hope to take it to the Andover Big Transport Fair on Saturday 8th November.  Part of Leakey Vale and part of Lilliput Vale, hopefully.  Problem is I keep taking it to pieces and starting again!  As for the kits - well I cannot praise them enough.  A little weathering and greenery makes a difference but the kits are excellent to start with and you can customise them too.

That's just absolutely beautiful, Sue - such a pity nothing like that is made is 1/32 scale. I just love it :-*

I have found one or two kits in 1:43 scale but they are petrol stations!  Perhaps if enough of us ask Metcalfe Models they might condescend to make 1:32 kits as well. 

your right there  :D. imagine the price of that place with a little trout lake and a few acres, good retirement for my 135 to  ;)  ;D

Well, when I buy it you can have the cottage that goes with it and then your 135 will be able to keep my TE20 company in the stone barn :D  ;D

Dreams...!