Spud Growing Help

FW

Basically I have been given a 2 acre paddock to graze, however it's right next to a pikey encampment, so obviously darn't put stock in it, so instead I've made hay of it the last few years, however I fancy a change for 2009. The plan is to have a late crop off of it this year, spray it and plough it up. I fancy doing some spuds in it and I really have no experience in this field what so ever, so any help in what machinery to get would be greatly appreciated, however I don't want to spend a busting lot as it's only 2 acres by the time I've taken 2 dog legs out of the field, which I shall keep grass, as with the perimeter of the field, which will all be topped regularly to look smart.

Thanks in advance. :)

dont grow them next to the pikey encampment or you'll see them selling them at the side of the road  ???:D :D

Oh they're not interested unless it's tow-able. ;)

For 2 acres you'll only need some small kit I guess Will... you can pick up old fergie stuff dirt cheap these days.... I'm n0 farmer myself... but I'd recommend you'd need.....

A ridger...

A planter - the sit on ferguson one would be good for 2 just 2 acres - the wheel drivern one I mean...

A 'hoover' to lift the spuds...

A back belt when you keep bending down to pick them up...

A link box...

A sprayer - essential I guess if you want a reasonable yield  :-\

For 2 acres you'll only need some small kit I guess Will... you can pick up old fergie stuff dirt cheap these days.... I'm n0 farmer myself... but I'd recommend you'd need.....

A ridger...

A planter - the sit on ferguson one would be good for 2 just 2 acres - the wheel drivern one I mean...

A 'hoover' to lift the spuds...

A back belt when you keep bending down to pick them up...

A link box...

A sprayer - essential I guess if you want a reasonable yield  :-\

Hmm, how cheap is dirt cheap? ::)

Mostly scrap value plus a small premium Will I'd guess... I bet if you knew the right place to look you could blag it for nowt... nobody wants to grow 2 acres of spuds these days.... too much for home consumption... and too much like hard work to lift I guess  :-\

Good luck to you anyway buddy... take plenty of pics if you do grow some...

What will you grow... ??? - do you know what grows best on your soil mate ???

The best way to grow teddies, tatties, spuds or whatever you call them in your region. If you are growing them in 'virgin' soil that has been down to grass for a number of years, you should get a good crop. Firstly consider the variety you would like to grow, first earlies, second earlies or maincrop and for which purpose, chips, roast or boiling. Look in your local seed merchants catalogue for this. You will need to get your seed spuds as soon as they are available and put them in a moderately warm dry place in slatted boxes or trays to 'chit' out, start growing shoots, when you have strong growing shoots on them, about 1 inch and a 1/2 they are ready to plant, normally 2nd week in April. To prepare your 2 acres spray off the grass with 'Roundup' in mid March and let the grass go yellow to brown and plough fairly deep. Rotovate the soil to a fine tilth, again fairly deep and ridge out. 2 acres is a small enough area for you to 'drop' the seed spuds by hand, 1 foot to 18 inches apart with the growing shoot upwards in the bottom of the 'trench'. The closer you till seed spuds together, the smaller the size will be of the mature spud at the harvest time, the further apart, the bigger the spud. Sow a low or nil content fertaliser such as 0-14-14 down through the drills with the seed spuds preferably before you drop them, when that's done cover them in with a set of seed drags. It is better to ridge-up or bank the growing spuds when the tops are about 8 inches high. You can dig spuds, for 'new' potatoes just after they have flowered or when the tops have died off to dry stalks, or at least nearly, for mature and keeping ones.  There should be no need to spray for weed as the Roundup will act as a pre-emergant as well but will not affect the spuds. The only thing that you will have to watch out for is the potato 'blight', an airborne fungus that travels with the fog on wet days in particular, the best way to prevent the blight is to spray the growing crop with a blue-green powder called 'Bordeux Mixture' that you mix with water and apply once a week during the growing period. Remember that the new spuds form above the one you planted, so within reason, the deeper you plant your seed spud and the wider apart, the heavier crop you will get from them.    Hope this helps and good luck.