Manitou MT732 advice

robl12

Anyone out there who owns a Manitou maniscopic I was wondering if you could let me know what are the major fault areas.

The major oil company I am contracted to is buying one for the project that I am on.

Our mechanics have been asked to prepare a spares list to be carried on site and there is not a manitou dealer in country (Azerbaijan) so a breakdown without spares may take days to obtain.

So my question is what are the major problems with them and if you had to carry spares what would they be?

While ours isn't the same as the one you're getting, think the principal applies, the seal on the crowd ram & splitter block on the carriage end of the boom seems to be a problem area, although same can be said for any handler I think... and they're an ar*e to get to.

Other than that on the whole they seem pretty good. When we sold them at Renault we never seemed to get any back in, no trouble at all. Any problems on ours are peripheral stuff which won't stop you, most annoying is the spring in the hand brake has partially failed so you have to keep your foot on top of the lever to stop the switch from dumping the drive... You will likely need to look at how the local climate will affect it more than general faults.... If you're in a sandy area [which I think you are from memory  ;)] You'll need to take care of everything at the end of your axles, the bushes in the rear axle pivot, props, probably the wear plates inside the boom will take a bit of stick. Same as the rest of your plant I guess. Wouldn't have thought the engine will give you any trouble....

Thanks simon.

Yeah sand/ dust is a big problem. >:( it gets in everywhere.

Mechie did laugh about the handbrake. I do not think that a dodgy handbrake being held down with a foot would go down well due to our driving standards on site ::)

Manitou was chosen because there is and older one on site already but think every spare was ordered for that.

732 is the single stage mast on the smaller chassis ain't it?

is it the powershift range shift? they really don't like being punished they have forward and reverse clutch packs as well as the torque converter,

one of my customers has the trans out of his 932 at the moment at 3000hours (??? not many really)

they had a delay in the forward shift, stripped it down to find heating on the forward clutch pack, and bearings scoring.........so its all getting done, they also found a worn universal from the engine to the trans on that driveshaft that is 300mm long

everything on the manitou is metric, pipes on the underside of the boom get bent when people carry stuff under there, and drop the boom on it.......bending the pipes is not good, but what is worse is the hoses get pushed up and rub on the internal boom..........those hoses are a bugger to do.....a good piece of rope is helpful for doing these hoses

the metric pipe you should measure, it should be 16mm OD, get some pipe joiners with olives and nuts to fix repairs (unless you like brazing)......all the hyd hose use metric L and S fittings, the ones in the boom and lead up to the boom functions us 16mm metric female hosetails to half inch hose.......all the hose tails have thin metric o rings on the sealing taper, that do blow, eg the ones on the 16S hose tails are 13x2 O-rings.....most the hoses are 1/2, 3/4in, and some ferrules or weld on hose tails for the 180degree elbows in the boom

good metric O ring kit, and thin O rings too........is a good investment, as well as electical stuff, they have solinoids on the actuator for the clutch packs, i think some got looked at under warrantee....,..

i don't know what the manitou's splicer axles are like when it comes to brakes

engines is perkins ain't it.......can't remember if they use CAV fuel filters, watch that square rubber seal when replacing filters,

dunno what the manitou accelerator cable is like, the ones in the JCB loadall with the perkins is a pain to replace

hyd hoses and O-rings, filters, oils, and sensible drivers is all you need

i think i would rather have a JCB if i was shopping, and people say they ain't great either

but the manitou is a durable unit, and most things that do give grief can be handled .....a double jointed mechanic and crowsfoot spanners is handy too

Blow me puds! That has to earn the 'Geek of the Week' award !!  :D :D :D

what size metric O rings mate ? ::)  ;):D  :D :D

Very comprehensive info though, and I like the suggestion of a double jointed mechanic.... anyone ever seen that in a 'situations vacant' ad before  ???:D :D

we got an mlt 735-120 and so far we havnt had any major problems except assembly issues such as bad welding etc but one hardy spicer  ( i think that what its called ) on the shaft going to the front axle had gone and i think its on its way out again  :-[ but apart from that the machine is brilliant , but i dont think she has more push than the old matbro we had  :-\ the only other thing that lets it down is the towing weight ! its rated at 8 ton where as jcb and others are rated 10 ton +  :-\

8  out of 10  ;):)  towing weight lets it down  :-[;)

Towing does not matter as it will only be used to move bulk bags of filter media and lifting bags of recovered sand from the desanding hydrocyclones.

Also lifting materials.

Those two words bring back some good memories of welldrilling  ::) Ohh i miss that job

Those two words bring back some good memories of welldrilling  ::) Ohh i miss that job

You would not missing with these, the water stinks to high heaven, as you would imagine if you get it on your boots just throw them away as it will never come out.

Will see if i can get my mate to put some advice down. He works for the local dealership.

Many thanks Kris that would be a great help.

I'd keep a JCB in the spares dept Rob  :D Only joking, no further colour wars needed!!

The only thing I know that has caused grief on the older 600 series was the breaks, I think this was more to do with non-breaked trailers though. ;)